•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little better seeing with the Field Q

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:06 PM

Went out on 9/19/20, temp. was in the mid 80's humidity was around 35%. Took out the '92 Field Q. Each capture was 4500 frames. Captured using either iCap5 or SharpCap, then stacked using AS!2, sharpened with Registax6.

Attached Thumbnails

• qf 20-09-19 19-51-24- QF-NICE_opt.jpg
  • qf 20-09-19 20-00-26-OK QF.jpg
  • Ni5 #50-2 QF_opt.jpg
  • Ni5 #04 QF_opt.jpg
  • Ni5 #20 QF_opt.jpg

• davidmcgo, cbwerner, elwaine and 10 others like this

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:18 PM

You nailed jupiter,   nice shots.  I set up tonight based on clear dark sky,  nothing doing tonight,  cloudy.

Joe Kuhl

#3 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:21 AM

Thanks Joe!  The skies cleared up-a bit- after all the West Coast smoke. The little Q is a great "Grab-N-Go" set up.

#4 medpeds

medpeds

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

Beautiful astrophotos of Jupiter! We were finally blessed with excellent seeing in the Nashville area last night, and I obtained some great views of Jupiter and Saturn. I always seem to serendipitously go out when the GRS is visible, and attached is my crude drawing of what Jupiter looked like! Saturn was sharp and distinct, and I could the Cassini division intermittently. My wife was impressed with the waxing crescent moon too.

IMG_4158.jpg

• GR1973, TerryWood and Terra Nova like this

#5 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:54 AM

Those came out great!! They all look good, but that second image is right on the money! V/R Terry

#6 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

Thanks-all!   Terry, that image is from the Ni5 camera. It seems to be the best combination for the Questar.  My three other ZWO cameras-just don't produce the same quality-no matter how I use them.   Todd

• TerryWood likes this

#7 TerryWood

TerryWood

Soyuz

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:22 PM

I might give the Ni5 a whirl tonight. The seeing is supposedly good. Hope so because the weather has been perfect! Clouds on the way tomorrow though. V/R Terry
  • medpeds likes this

#8 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:12 PM

bigshock.gif

Wow!!!

#9 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:40 PM

Thanks cbwerner!  The hardest part of astrophotgraphy with the Q 3.5, is getting the focus spot on. I picked up a "flex focus cable" that you can put on the Meade ETX90 scopes.  I'm going to try to fit it on the Questar and give it a try.    Todd.

• cbwerner and TerryWood like this

#10 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:43 PM

The hardest part of astrophotgraphy with the Q 3.5, is getting the focus spot on.

I have asked the question so many times that I try not to ask now. But I *always* want to know what the focus method was. In my experience, that's the hardest part.

#11 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:30 PM

I have asked the question so many times that I try not to ask now. But I *always* want to know what the focus method was. In my experience, that's the hardest part.

I just try to get the best focus I can when looking at the laptop screen. Usually I have the image a little brighter-when focusing.  I then bring down the brightness level so I can get a decent frame rate during capture. Of coarse, sometimes you just get lucky when focusing. The better the "seeing conditions" the easier it is to obtain good focus. The details will just "pop".     Todd.

• cbwerner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics