•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Has anyone actually bought and used the Tak Starbase 80?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

I saw the Tak Starbase 80 system at NEAF and it won my "this is nifty" award.  It just seemed very good quality and what all those rickety $50 to $100 systems are trying to convince you they deliver, but don't.  

I'm surprised we don't have a lot of them around.  

I've never been out with one under the stars.  If I didn't have so many refractors already I might consider it.  Maybe it's the kind of thing you buy, evaluate, mark down $200 and sell off, just so you can say you checked it out.

But my concern is I wouldn't sell it off if it was good.

If you've owned and/or used this under the night sky please do tell.

Greg N

#2 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:33 PM

I have had one for quite a while.  It’s a great, well-made scope, includes the mount, and the eyepieces are excellent as well.  BillP really likes the 6mm Ortho, which is actually a Plossl.  Actually all of the “Orthos” have two asymmetric doublets.  The only “true” Plossls being made.  The Kellners are actually Kellners, and for the price between $44 and $56, I bought all 7.  They’re very solid and heavy.  They also perform quite well.

The scope itself is great.  Excellent star test, a little color on really bright objects like Venus and Sirius.  No color on the moon that I can detect.  The shadows on the moon are inky black.

The mount is very nice.  Slow motions on both axes.  Round steel legs of about 1 1/2 inches with an eyepiece tray.  The azimuth axis is very stable.  The altitude axis is a little “springy”.

I didn’t like the two holes you line up on the tube for finding things, so I purchased the finder with rings for $70.

It’s all “made in Japan” and the quality shows in its build.  I can pick the whole thing up, including the mount, and carry it outside.  Cool down is quick.  15 minutes or less.

Edited by SandyHouTex, 20 September 2020 - 10:40 PM.

• gnowellsct and Bomber Bob like this

#3 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:25 PM

I like the little mount and tripod.  I wonder how much that is separately from the telescope.

• gnowellsct and HydrogenAlpha like this

#4 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:28 PM

I like the little mount and tripod.  I wonder how much that is separately from the telescope.

Indeed. It would pair really nicely with my FS60. Don't know if they would be willing to sell it separate though. 

• gnowellsct likes this

#5 Rutilus

Rutilus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:34 AM

The focus mount is just average in my opinion. The build is on par with the units I have from China,

and works no better or worse.

• Tarzanrock and gnowellsct like this

#6 Mihai

Mihai

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Romania,Sibiu

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:47 AM

Where ca I find one in Europe ?
  • gnowellsct likes this

#7 Tarzanrock

Tarzanrock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

The focus mount is just average in my opinion. The build is on par with the units I have from China,

and works no better or worse.

Thanks.  I've been looking for a small high quality, weight bearing GEM mount which I can affix to a high quality table top tripod to use in Los Angeles for photography.  I also want to use it for astrophotography as well.  So far, all I've been able to find is utter junk.

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:33 PM

Thanks.  I've been looking for a small high quality, weight bearing GEM mount which I can affix to a high quality table top tripod to use in Los Angeles for photography.  I also want to use it for astrophotography as well.  So far, all I've been able to find is utter junk.

You want to get a used Super Polaris or Great Polaris.  There is also a light-weight version of the Super Polaris which is simply called the Polaris.

Both Polaris and Super Polaris have the virtue that they can be converted to alt-az. See this link.  If you advertise for a Super Polaris on Astromart sooner or later you'll get one.  What I don't like about them is that you have to release and then tighten the clutches every time you move the scope by hand.  (Or you can crank the knobs but those are meant for fine adjustment, not going from one part of the sky to another.)

Otherwise I would consider a Losmandy g8 which might be more than you bargained for.  I believe Losmandy has been doing GEMs for 30 years, but there are also alt-az configurations.  

Greg N

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics