•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyeguards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hakann

hakann

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:28 PM

I did notice a phenomen this weekend.
We had first light in our 30” f/3.6 and was using my Ehos series and Nikon HW EP.
One using glasses complaining about the Nikon ( in this case 14 mm )
This EP has no eye guard and I never has them up.
I changed to a Ethos 13 and it was better.
When I went up I notice field was narrow.
I has used/tested the eyeguard but had not this feeling ?
Did not mentioned it but then another guy came up and he said we install the Nikon again and he said much better.
I went up and I’ll always did like the 17/14 mm.
The field was fantastic. The Niknon, no matter of test repiorts vs Ethos I say it Rock’s.
Ok I put in a Ethos 10 mm and tested eyeguard and I don’t know why I never noted this before as now field was back.
With eyeguard up it felt like a 60 degree EP and dim in the end.
-So whats happens here ?

The guy noted this with eyeguard up is at my age +50 and no glasses, maybe for reading.
Again, I newer use my EP with eye guard up, but here several said it is much better.
Then the issue came up.
Always good see a issue and learn !

#2 martinl

martinl

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:52 AM

When I had Ethoses (21, 17, 10 and 6mm) I always thought the eye cups were too tall for the eye relief on hand and so always kept them folded down. Leaving them up restricted the field of  view. This was particularly the case with the 6mm, where the field of view shrank very quickly as you got further away from the eyepiece. The 10mm was definitely better, and as I recall the 17mm as well. The 21mm is also ok. I haven’t used the 13mm so I don’t know how it behaves, nor have I used the Nikon to know how it compares. 

#3 hakann

hakann

Vanguard

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

Good to know someone else notice this !
I can't say it was all Ethos got a limited field with eye guard used.
But in this case it was Ethos 10.
But as said I never had them up normally.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics