•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Opinion on Astro Fi 90mm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dobcloud

dobcloud

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Midtown Manhattan, NYC

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:35 PM

Hey everyone,

I found Celestron AstroFi 90 Telescope for $200. It's new but the packaging is damaged hence the markdown.

AstroFi 130 seems to have good reviews, do you guys have any opinions on the Astro Fi 90?

I was not planning to buy a telescope for now, but it seems too good of a deal to pass up. Lightweight refractor + goto + tracking.

This would be my first telescope and looks like this would be a pretty good first telescope. I have some time before I can cancel the order, so if you guys know any reasons as why I should pass this up please let me know.

Edited by dobcloud, 20 September 2020 - 11:54 PM.

#2 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Viking 1

• Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:18 PM

Is go-to/tracking a requirement for you?

If not, for $200 I'd recommend this https://zhumell.com/...ector-telescope you'll see brighter images and the mount is solid

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I found Celestron AstroFi 90 Telescope for $200. It's new but the packaging is damaged hence the markdown.

AstroFi 130 seems to have good reviews, do you guys have any opinions on the Astro Fi 90?

I was not planning to buy a telescope for now, but it seems too good of a deal to pass up. Lightweight refractor + goto + tracking.

This would be my first telescope and looks like this would be a pretty good first telescope. I have some time before I can cancel the order, so if you guys know any reasons as why I should pass this up please let me know.

Hello, dobcloud,

The scope ought to be  a nice beginning scope. I would download Celestrons free Skyportal App. To a Tablet or phone.Then using it will be as easy as it gets. If this scope has a downside, it is the tripod, I fear that it will be a bit shakey. You will see some CA but who knows it may not be enough to ever bother you. What you can expect from this scope is amazing views of the Moon and bright planets as well as the Great Orion Nebulae. You will be able to split some double stars. With the money you saved I would buy a Celedtron 8X24 Zoom eyepiece and 2X Barlow, and a variable polarizing filter for bright Moon viewing. 

On the other hand if you have not purchased this scope yet I would concider what CQDDEMGY, recommended a Zhumel Z130. It is a better scope and pretty cheap for what you get. Plus the Zoom eyepiece and Barlow and filter I mentioned. With this you will be able to add more DSO's to the line up for viewing as well as the other stuff  that I mentioned. And no pesky electronics to deal with. Also it has a stable mount. I think just for the heck of it, I actually want to add these baby Dobs to my own collection of scopes.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 22 September 2020 - 07:22 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics