•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hickson Compact Group - HCG90

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Strongmanmike

Strongmanmike

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wallaroo Australia

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:57 PM

2020 has been kinda lean pickings and like many of you I'm sure, I have a pretty long list of potential targets for various times in the year. However, not living in 300 clear nights a year Chile and no fully automated remote rig, not to mention my scope is not even in my own backyard, so requires travel back and forth...inevitably time obviously gets away and so many candidates pass slowly by and get missed . Anyway, ever since I saw the HST version of this compact galaxy group, in Pisces Austrinus..it went on my list.

At around 100 million light years, the galaxies are not of large apparent size (around 1 or 2 arc min each). The main interacting trio, comprised of two elliptical galaxies, NGC7173/6 and a distorted spiral NGC7174, are joined by an

intriguing looking edge on Seyfert2 galaxy, NGC 7172, which looks like a coffee bean (or cheeseburger). The whole group is connected by a subtle hub of faint galactic steams and along with the big bright Mag 6, F class star, HD20953, some intra cluster light also contributes to the glowing vista.

HCG90 (click on image and pan around with your cursor)

To zoom around finding lots of galaxies, the full resolution version can be seen here

Mike

Edited by Strongmanmike, 20 September 2020 - 11:59 PM.

• Ptarmigan, H-Alfa, psandelle and 9 others like this

#2 philipdehazya

philipdehazya

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:14 AM

amazing photo!

#3 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:51 PM

Fantastic image.

Dan

#4 Strongmanmike

Strongmanmike

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wallaroo Australia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:03 AM

Cheers Philip and Dan waytogo.gif

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics