•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron SkyGuider Pro not tracking? [Resolved]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:55 AM

I received my SkyGuider Pro with iPolar last Friday. It's been cloudy over the weekend, so I didn't have much chance putting the mount in action.

Finally the clouds parted this evening, so I set up the mount polar aligned, pointed my scope to Mirach. Took a few 10~30 secs subs hoping to see

reasonably rounded stars but, to my dismay, found star trails.

Now it could be that my PA is not perfect, however, I suspect the mount's RA motor is not slewing. I am saying this because the mount has two buttons

that allow you to fast slew the RA axis. But when I press either of the buttons, nothing happens. I can't hear the motor moving. I have also tried motor

calibration, following this post, which slews RA clockwise and counterclockwise for 8mins each. The mount did not slew at all. 

Before I send the mount back, is there anything I might have missed? I would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions/comments. Thank you!

- Jason

Edited by HoloTheWolf, 21 September 2020 - 12:11 PM.

#2 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

Okay, the tracking issue is resolved.

I searched SkyGuider Pro tracking issues on CN, came across DubbelDerp's post. Turns out my mount has exactly the same problem.

I opened the enclosure and turned on the power. The RA motor, as I suspected, did not move. Following DubbelDerp's steps, I tried to

block the optical sensor, and Voila! The RA motor started to move! After re-calibrating the motor (took about 16 minutes) and a few

power cycles, the mount seems to function properly. If the weather permits this evening, I'll do a few test shots to verify.

For reference, these are SkyGuider Pro motor calibration steps from DubbelDerp's post:

1. Make sure the unit is off.
  2. Power on the unit while holding down the center button.
  3. Release the button to initiate an 8-minute slew in one direction.
  4. After the previous step is completed, press the center button again to slew the RA axis for 8 minutes in the other direction.
  5. Switch off the unit, and do a few power cycle.

- Jason

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3765.jpg

Edited by HoloTheWolf, 21 September 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• limeyx likes this

#3 limeyx

limeyx

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

Glad you got it resolved !

• HoloTheWolf likes this

#4 HoloTheWolf

HoloTheWolf

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

Glad you got it resolved !

Thanks!

Guess I'm lucky the issue can be solved easily, and I didn't have to return or send it back for repair.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics