•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sequence Generator Pro License Expiration

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:36 AM

Hi folks,

I got an email today that my SGPro license has expired - although I paid for a pro license one and a half years ago.

It says, as described in another thread here on CN, that they have moved to another payment scheme - the subscription model.

I dont want to judge if that is wrong/right, but my personal preference is not to have any software that is subscription based, especially softwares you only use 5-10times per year. In my eyes a subsription model is always a kind of rip-off, at least its what it feels to me. But again: that is only my personal opinion, any other opinion is legitimate.

Back to my problem:

that email says that I MUST update to the latest version on SGPro and to enter my new license code to make that software work again even if I do not want to follow the subscription model.

The version I have is 3.1.xx and I want to keep it that way!! Here my question: It seems like my 3.1 version is still running but license information shows NA. 

Any of you guys using SGPro experienced that you really need to update your version to use it further on???

Thank you, stay well and safe!

Chris

• arspi, cajusor and Dynan like this

#2 John_K

John_K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:32 AM

I also received the same email today and don't intent to go to the subscription model as I agree with you.

Can I ask why you don't want to upgrade to the latest version?

If so, just keep using the current version you have until it stops working.

Clear skies.

John K.

• Jim Waters, cajusor and CvBadengoth like this

#3 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:09 AM

Hi John,

its one of my habits to stop upgrading/updating important/sensitive softwares in a state of „it works perfectly fine“, as I experienced several setbacks after updates being implemented. 

This was so quite often with Adobe products, MacOSX (cant use Catalina, and never will), PI, FinalCutPro......just to mention a few.

So whenever its possible to stick to a perfect working piece of software, Ill try to do so. Thats just me, and any other opinion is legitimate.

So what I am concerned about is: will my version 3.1. cease to work in the near future?

Hope not....

Thank you,

Chris.

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:56 AM

I just got  the"Good Morning! We are taking full advantage of you! Please move to NINA immediately!" message in my inbox.

• EFT, Jim Waters, giorgio_ne and 6 others like this

#5 Krawbeard

Krawbeard

Explorer 1

• Loc: Fort worth, Tx

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

I'm wondering the same thing about how not subscribing will affect v3.x that we get to keep?

Honestly this is upsetting. They've stated over so many years they wouldn't do this.

They must live under a rock because there's plenty of image acquisition software out there and have better customer service that doesn't come off condescending and/or FREE.

I for one will not be subscribing and hope the rest of the astro community does the same thing.

Vote with your wallet. Don't subscribe no matter how many bells and whistles they add. There's too many subscription based stuff out there as it is and I also believe gaming is about to go that way too.

If you are a regular on YouTube or social media I'd suggest letting your voice be heard on there as well.

Sorry I may come off childish but this just really grinds my gears
  • CvBadengoth and thekubiaks like this

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:09 AM

Is this even legal? Some of us purchased a FULL WORKING EDITION of SGP with a hefty price. I can see them going to a subscription model if they want to exercise their lucre, greed, and lack of loyalty. BUT aren't we grandfathered to be able to use a program we paid full price for IN GOOD FAITH? Anyone a lawyer out there???

• arspi likes this

#7 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:27 AM

You will be able to use the version you bought. You just don't get updates beyond that version or Premium-level support without a subscription. This is a common model in software now as it tends to be more sustainable.

• OrionSword, jdupton and Dynan like this

#8 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

You will be able to use the version you bought. You just don't get updates beyond that version or Premium-level support without a subscription. This is a common model in software now as it tends to be more sustainable.

....in case thats true then its okay with me. It just says in my version license management: NA.

Although it keeps on running, at least today. I was also worried about the content of that SG-email saying you have to update to keep it alive. The inside-me was like: no way :-)

So I just keep watching this, in case I observe my version does not run anymore Ill report it here....

• Dynan likes this

#9 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

I just got  the"Good Morning! We are taking full advantage of you! Please move to NINA immediately!" message in my inbox.

I got the same message.....It translates to "Please switch to NINA"   I am doing so this morning.

#10 lapinilla

lapinilla

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:58 AM

In my case it seems that I need to pay 59 extra to move on to the PRO version. What I am not finding anywhere is which new functionalities / improvements I am getting from moving to Pro version from my 3.x existing one. Am I missing any detailed comparison?

What is moving me to make the move? 

I feel that you could only move on to subscription requiring an upfront payment if you present a major upgrade in functionality, not only in the name....

• BobInTexas and krockelein like this

#11 BobInTexas

BobInTexas

Sputnik

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:18 AM

I think due to how infrequently I get to actually go out an image that I will continue to use the 3.1 version already installed.  Should that prove to have an issue at some point I will move to NINA.  I just don't see any innovation coming from SGP to warrant the price. 

"In SGPro’s 10 years, we have only ever had one of these (SGPro 2 to 3). When the major version changed, we charged a one-time upgrade fee for the upgrade. The SGPro subscription model will no longer charge any type of fee for version changes"

An annual subscription for something that only happens once every 10 years does not seem like a good deal to me.

I installed v3.2 on my desktop with the new model and it seems ok though I did not connect it to any gear to see.

#12 Krawbeard

Krawbeard

Explorer 1

• Loc: Fort worth, Tx

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:08 PM

Bundle your xbox live, ps+, w o.w., hulu, disney plus, netflix, PhD2, eqmod, ea games, epic games, gamestop, costco, sam's club, sgpro, and car payment with spectrum internet to save!!!!

#13 cajusor

cajusor

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

Got the same message this morning. For the number of upgrades I have seen to me it isn't worth the extra expense. I will be moving over to NINA today.

#14 Cristofori

Cristofori

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

I was struggling with the learning curve on SGPro anyway. I've been using APT and tinkering with NINA and don't see SGPro in my future now.

FWIW, if they had made the sub price $30 a year, I probably would have played along with them.

#15 TerriVt

TerriVt

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:48 PM

I don't post here very often, but I find this move disappointing.  To pay $159 for some upgrade in license, to the same software you have already purchased seems a blatant money grab.   I hope this spurs competition.   I paid for the pro version of software around a year ago, and nothing but bug fixes and not sure there is really any new functionality.   I have no issue paying for upgrades and new major versions of software..    If there was some wonderful support model behind this, it might speak well, but I for one have found the developers incredibly non-responsive to any requests I've put in.    

Terri

#16 montejw360

montejw360

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:29 PM

Anybody keep a copy of the license agreement they "read" when making their original purchase? Wish I had it now. Paid for "Pro". Seems like lifetime updates where part of the deal. 

#17 philinbris

philinbris

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:41 AM

Anybody keep a copy of the license agreement they "read" when making their original purchase? Wish I had it now. Paid for "Pro". Seems like lifetime updates where part of the deal. 

Lifetime - what an interesting term

Lifetime of what? - You or the software?

Seems the software in its current form has expired its lifetime.

I too hate subscription, but so many software owners have gone that way because its a constant income for them - more or less.

Adobe,Office, our beloved SharpCap (even they had a perpetual license they abandoned) - list will get bigger and bigger.

Cheers

#18 CvBadengoth

CvBadengoth

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:19 AM

Lifetime - what an interesting term

Lifetime of what? - You or the software?

Seems the software in its current form has expired its lifetime.

I too hate subscription, but so many software owners have gone that way because its a constant income for them - more or less.

Adobe,Office, our beloved SharpCap (even they had a perpetual license they abandoned) - list will get bigger and bigger.

Cheers

...constant income: that could be applied also to other markets, lets say the automobile industry.

„You want to drive your car next year? Really? Then you need to pay $999/year subscription, otherwise we shut down your car remotely. Have a nice day.“

That constant income strategy I know from an organization.....what was its name....so famous and successful.........mafia......thats what it was called.

:-D

(I apologize for the exaggeration, it was so tempting, LOL)

Me on my part: I have been constantly moving away from any softwares that switched to this „constant rip off“ model....first of all it was Adobe. Good bye Adobe! What they did with photoshop and Lightroom was a huge mistake. Even for those two famous softwares, there were good non-rip off alternatives (affinity & capture one) and it played into the hands of those providers, which these days offer the same performance, if not even better. I dont look back...

But Adobe survives, as they have thousands of users and people/companies depend on that software and might not switch as easily as I could as a nobody in image processing.

But Sequence Generator Pro? You must be kidding.....  Thats a nieche software.... A handful of people use it......and you scare them away into hands of competition/open source providers because you need more income? I guess they regret that poor product management decision soon enough....

Edited by CvBadengoth, 22 September 2020 - 03:30 AM.

• philinbris likes this

#19 philinbris

philinbris

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:01 AM

But Sequence Generator Pro? You must be kidding.....  Thats a nieche software.... A handful of people use it......and you scare them away into hands of competition/open source providers because you need more income? I guess they regret that poor product management decision soon enough....

Yeah it sucks. In some cases we don't have much choice.

On the other hand, if the sub is low enough (like SharpCap - few bucks a year) then I am not too worried - I find that reasonable and I feel like I am supporting the Author rather than lining their pockets.

Adobe on the other hand - not worth it when there's GIMP.

I see SharpCap has added a sequencer to its arsenal (not promoting SharpCap BTW - intentionally at least).

And nice rant on the car waytogo.gif .

Cheers

• CvBadengoth likes this

#20 OrionSword

OrionSword

Messenger

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

I own SGP but spend most of my time with NINA.  Also I found APT renewals value priced and very good and made use of those too, and even if you did not renew for a while you still had a very good functioning product.

Edited by OrionSword, 24 September 2020 - 12:45 PM.

#21 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:32 PM

OK I've settled down now and bit the bullet and updated SGP to the "final" version before having to make a needed update, paying the subscribed amount of $59.00 (U.S.).

So, what if I don't need any updates for a while,  eg: my cameras, and filter wheels, mounts...you name it, are still operating fine under the existing "last" version before subscription fees are invoked. That is, skip a few update versions of the program and then I buy a new WANNAHAVE CMOS camera. The existing program I have doesn't support this new brand of camera! But the new improved version of SGP Pro DOES!

Do I get charged $59.00 upgrade fee for upgrade versions I didn't need, or, do I just get charged for the last updated version I need?   That is, if SGP issued 3 updates that I didn't need, would I have to pay 3 X $59.00 for each updated I didn't need before they hit on the one update I do need?

#22 jdupton

jdupton

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

RandallK,

My translation of what it means was posted in one of the several other threads on the new sales model. I ran it by one of the authors of SGP to make sure my interpretation was accurate.

The net, to the best of my interpretation, is that you do not have to pay the upgrade fee until you are ready for a new version which supports the features and / or new hardware you need. And, once you pay the upgrade fee, you get all subsequent releases for up to one year. If you buy new hardware that needs the latest version within one year, you can grab the newest version without additional fees.

Here is the link to my bulletized summary:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/730495-sgp-now-subscription-based/#entry10526049

John

#23 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:10 PM

RandallK,

My translation of what it means was posted in one of the several other threads on the new sales model. I ran it by one of the authors of SGP to make sure my interpretation was accurate.

The net, to the best of my interpretation, is that you do not have to pay the upgrade fee until you are ready for a new version which supports the features and / or new hardware you need. And, once you pay the upgrade fee, you get all subsequent releases for up to one year. If you buy new hardware that needs the latest version within one year, you can grab the newest version without additional fees.

Here is the link to my bulletized summary:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/730495-sgp-now-subscription-based/#entry10526049

John

Thanks for the clarification John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics