•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

From Ophir to Iapygia - Annotated features of the Martian disk.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:26 AM

Ok - hi everyone smile.gif...in my spare time I have been annotating the image we captured of Mars on September 13th this year for a number of reasons. wink.gif

Firstly, I wanted our own quick reference for Mars' place-names...

I also thought that a few people might like this also...& saw it as a personal challenge also..

Any maps (or drawings) that contain more than a handful of annotated features/regions were in the main "projection" maps (ie, flattened, rectangular) & quite often difficult to translate when one has just captured their own image/s & wants an easy (& somewhat approximate wink.gif ) reference source...one major reason why I did not create such  projection maps, which I have done in the past using WinJUPOS...

I have tried to be as accurate as possible, referencing many, many maps from images & drawings both old & new (& in fact some terms for regions/features have - or almost - passed into anachronisms) but it is quite likely that some annotations are out in their positioning: luckily I have created a .psd with all the layers available to easily correct any errors that may have arisen due to my lack of knowledge, or errors of judgement... smile.gif

On the latter I am only personally familiar with major "landmarks" on Mars & this possibility (errors) is quite likely in some places...even many "established" maps make mistakes...& some areas have actually "shifted" insofar as their physical delineation is concerned over time: I would normally have waited for responses from a couple of people I am asking to vet this work, but decided to go ahead & post it before I hear back from these people - I really want to spend time away from my computer before we go out imaging again..! lol.gif

On that score our aim is to create several of these with different perspectives covering the entire Martian globe if we get the opportunities fingerscrossed.gifbut that is up to the weather: we estimate that we have about 6 weeks to achieve this before Mars falls below (roughly) 20" so it is a tall order in some respects to capture images of sufficiently high quality to do so in that time...

We have plenty of images from past apparitions, but Mars' lower/darker albedo markings have varied so much over the period that we have been imaging this planet that I feel that it would be inappropriate to use past images: the "consistency" of images from a single apparition being a desired objective.

For a few regions/features I not only referenced maps & drawings but also used the WinJUPOS position measurements to confirm that the annotations were "on the money" or at least roughly approximate lol.gif  but was intrigued by the feature/s right on the preceding limb at (approximately) Long. 280° Lat. 21°S & also Long. 274° & Lat. 32°S...or if you like, at around 4 o'clock on the right-hand side of the very edge of the limb... grin.gif

At first I thought the former position might indicate some interesting result of light striking the (very) large Huygens crater, but those coordinates do not match this feature... frown.gif

I've tested this image to see whether it fits within the CN guideline for image dimensions & it does - I normally would prefer to post .png's but this had to be a .jpg to fit within the file-size limits, although it seems quite sufficient: the image will need to be clicked on however to bring it up to the proper scaling..! lol.gif

mars2020-09-13_1802_rgb_dpm@150%-ANNOTATED-FIN.jpg

• Sunspot, Magellanico, JMP and 21 others like this

#2 JohnEEvans

JohnEEvans

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:14 AM

Excellent idea!

#3 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Messenger

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:12 AM

Lovely piece of work that will benefit us all.  Thanks

#4 le geolois

le geolois

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: France dpt 06

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:13 AM

Hello
Great idea! THANK YOU very much for this research work.
alain

#5 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

This is really helpful, Darryl - I've often struggled to find names for many of the albedo features.  One large unlabelled feature in this view is Argyre Planitia at lower left, which often stands out in the eyepiece as being lighter than the surrounding surface (and so is one of the few features I know the name of).

#6 JMP

JMP

Viking 1

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

Fantastic! Beautiful work here!!!

#7 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

Thanks a ton Darryl, this will help me identify Martian features waytogo.gif

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:57 PM

Thanks everyone - a real challenge with the weather we are experiencing is to get enough images together! fingerscrossed.gif

I forgot to mention in the first post that this is a processing using 3x drizzle - I prefer using this function whenever  can because it creates a less-contrasty outcome but is more demanding upon the raw data, especially on Mars.

I'll continue to check these & make any alterations: Ray, Argyre was thought of but overlooked as were a couple of other annotations. (well, tbh it might've "made the cut" but I forgot about it when I had arrived at the number of annotations I ended up with & decided that was enough for this particular image! lol.gif)

But it could well go in, because thinking about it there does need to be some "connectivity" or "tie-ins" between various maps we might be able to put together...not that the weather is very promising at all atm! frown.gif

#9 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:00 PM

Darryl, this is really fantastic work.  In addition to the beautiful images themselves, this will be a great benefit to anyone trying to recognize features in their own images, as it can be quite challenging, even if you do have access to an appropriate atlas or orbital images (and many folks don't). Now, you just need to complete such diagrams for the entire Martian globe! 

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:36 AM

Thanks Tom - the real challenge is getting those nights where seeing is good enough to get the types of images we need within a fairly limited time-frame..! fingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.gif fingerscrossed.giflol.gif

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

...a few more annotations & a clarification: Hellespontus being the darker albedo arc semi-circling the Hellas Basin beyond Yaonis Fretum & Y. Regio... wink.gif

2020-09-13-1802_2-rgb-HP@150%-NEWPROCESS-NPH_ANNOTATED-FIN+.jpg

• R Botero, eros312, Foc and 1 other like this

#12 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:56 AM

Thanks very much for this Darryl!  I was having a challenging time identifying features that I captured on Mars, albeit with much less detail than you.  I am reprocessing my images as we speak based upon watching Emil's interview regarding AS!3/AS!4 which were beneficial for stacking Mars.

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:39 PM

Thanks Aero - apologies for forgetting your name here & in your own thread - I must be getting old! 

This latest one above will go up on our website today...someone raised the possibility of red against a black background being too indistinct, so I'll look into that as well - maybe create a white colour-combo as well! lol.gif

Anyway, that's it for a while...I think all the sitting in front of a screen lately has really exacerbated by back & neck problems...luckily it's cloudy atm!

#14 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:16 PM

Just to let anyone interested know that Jeff Beish has got back to me with some valuable corrections: we're about to depart in the hope of capturing some worthwhile images, perhaps at Yongala or Bower in dubious conditions if we're lucky... fingerscrossed.gif

Weather is pretty atrocious but at this stage of the apparition you've got to take a punt whenever you can - will make amendments  to the above image etc when we return, hopefully with some new images if we're very lucky! lol.gif

#15 Foc

Foc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:17 AM

Great work Darryl,

Despite the discouraging weather and seeing of the last few weeks, I am still hoping to get some color images in the C8 from Canberra which some of those features are discernible.  Perhaps I should order in a C14 and see if it improves local conditions here!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics