•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would a Z61 on a CGEM unguided work for astrophotography?

mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dimitrij

Dimitrij

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:54 AM

I was looking into this mount because I am thinking about buying it and it seems like it would work but I felt like it would be best to just ask here to make sure. I am sure the WO Z61 would work just fine on this mount but I would just like to ask because I read somewhere that autoguiding on this mount was very important but I am not sure how important it would be with a telescope like the Z61. Also, just in general is the mount good for astrophotography for a beginner. This would be the first GoTo Equatorial mount, before I had the Skyguider Pro and it worked well, but there were too many limitations for me. Also, would it be better than the HEQ5 Pro? Because that was the other one I was looking at and people seem to really like that one as well. Thanks!

Edited by Dimitrij, 21 September 2020 - 08:59 AM.

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:11 AM

You might have read this discussion on CN, but just in case you haven't:  https://www.cloudyni...trophotography/

#3 Dimitrij

Dimitrij

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:14 AM

I read that but it seems like the person who posted it had equipment that was way over the limit for this mount, and I am just beginning, the one thing I saw was the orthogonality thing, what does that mean and how would it affect imaging?

#4 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:28 AM

I was looking into this mount because I am thinking about buying it and it seems like it would work but I felt like it would be best to just ask here to make sure. I am sure the WO Z61 would work just fine on this mount but I would just like to ask because I read somewhere that autoguiding on this mount was very important but I am not sure how important it would be with a telescope like the Z61. Also, just in general is the mount good for astrophotography for a beginner. This would be the first GoTo Equatorial mount, before I had the Skyguider Pro and it worked well, but there were too many limitations for me. Also, would it be better than the HEQ5 Pro? Because that was the other one I was looking at and people seem to really like that one as well. Thanks!

Hello Dimitrij,

Auto guiding really is a must for any AP work. The only mounts I know of that the owners brag about no auto guiding nessesary are the 10 Microns. And I have a few kooky friends with OCD that do unguided AP. Because it is a very, very difficult challenge and pull it off but they are using mounts made by Astrophyics and Paramount. For the rest of us we need autoguiding and PHD2 and all the other things that will help us. I tried to do unguided AP with my Losmandy G11G, it worked for Planetary only, taking very short subs, I had no luck on Nebulae or any other DSO's. The CGEM mount is sturdy enough for the task and with the WO Z61 scope, that mount wont even know it is there. The Skywatcher EQ-6 R Pro mount has a huge following with the AP circles and has a cult following. I see them all over at Star Parties But you will need auto guiding.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 21 September 2020 - 02:09 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#5 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

The DEC and the RA axis should be at right angles to each other, or orthogonal.  If they are not, and auto guiding  is not use to correct the orthogonal error, then  the error will compromise the result.

Because of the shorter focal length of the Z61,  errors in guiding will be less significant.

Auto guiding can be complicated  to implement, but once set up correctly is very easy to use.  Starting without auto guiding is normal, but pretty much everyone implements auto guiding.

#6 Dimitrij

Dimitrij

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

Okay, so I assume it would be the same with the HEQ5 Pro, I didn't know it was that important, but I think I can afford the autoguiding. I am pretty sure the mount will be fine for me, now and knowing that autoguiding is a necessity, helps a lot, because now I am pretty sure I will buy the CGEM, I don't plan on upgrading the telescope in a while, so I really doubt I would need a better mount. Thanks for replying!

#7 Dimitrij

Dimitrij

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

The DEC and the RA axis should be at right angles to each other, or orthogonal.  If they are not, and auto guiding  is not use to correct the orthogonal error, then  the error will compromise the result.

Because of the shorter focal length of the Z61,  errors in guiding will be less significant.

Auto guiding can be complicated  to implement, but once set up correctly is very easy to use.  Starting without auto guiding is normal, but pretty much everyone implements auto guiding.

Okay, thanks for the help, I now understand that I would need autoguiding regardless, so I am pretty sure this mount would work for me and I will just have to work on setting up autoguiding. Thanks!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#8 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:14 AM

The CGEM should handle the small Z61 without much problem, but you should autoguide.  I would expect if properly adjusted, it should handle 80mm class scopes and possibly up to light 100mm class (though NOT the beefy Esprit 100).

The CGEM had similar capacity as the SW HEQ5, but the HEQ5 has a much better reputation, and generally Celestron does NOT have a good reputation for mounts.

Edited by SilverLitz, 21 September 2020 - 11:14 AM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#9 OhmEye

OhmEye

Viking 1

• Loc: Western NY Southern Tier

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

I'd be surprised if there is any mount that can't handle the weight of a Z61. I used mine on a Star Adventurer. I can't resist the irony, the OP is asking about needing autoguiding for a Z61, and my Z61 is doing autoguiding for my TS130! :)

• Jethro7 and Dimitrij like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics