•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion GOTO Dob Motor Controller Update - Has anyone done it?...

dob mount Orion reflector
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:50 PM

On their site you can download the update program and the controller firmware file but they have no info on how to do it.

Has anyone done this and if so, can you share how it is done?

I've got a call into Orion and they're looking for the document but I thought I might get a quicker answer here.

NOTE: this is not the hand controller firmware, but the GOTO motor controller firmware.

#2 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

Clueless here, but as i own one am curious what the update changes?  Have had no issues with mine and was an early adopter.  Just wondering if it's something i can skip without worry or if there is something great I might find useful.

#3 epee

epee

Skylab

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

I spoke to Orion Tech support about the update. I was advised that it only effected equatorial versions and so was unnecessary for the GoTo Dobs.

In general I resist updating firmware unless there is a pressing need.

Edited by epee, 27 September 2020 - 01:20 PM.

• CounterWeight likes this

#4 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

I spoke to Orion Tech support about the update. I was advised that it only effected equatorial versions and so was unnecessary for the GoTo Dobs.

In general I resist updating firmware unless there is a pressing need.

Actually whomever you spoke to was incorrect.  There is a motor controller firmware that is specific to the GoTo Dobs.  They told me that being a new scope mine should have the latest however, I've checked and mine was several revs down from the latest.

I'm currently working an Azimuth issue with them so it may eventually come to a firmware upgrade.  We'll see.

#5 epee

epee

Skylab

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:21 PM

Please keep me posted.

#6 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 12:45 PM

Same here, please let us know and best luck with your issue.

#7 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

Please keep me posted.

Same here, please let us know and best luck with your issue.

I will update this thread for sure.  At this point they have recommended that I further tighten the clutch.  Tighten the nut under the cover that is, and not just the hand knob.  I did so initially but the slippage still occurred.  So I've tightened it even more and will test it out soon.

The other issue I have is that occasionally, when using the directional buttons to slew a bit in either AZ or ALT once I release the button, the scope keeps moving.  That one has them puzzled.  I need to experiment more with that.

• brentknight likes this

#8 epee

epee

Skylab

Posted 01 October 2020 - 01:57 PM

I finally have had a chance to put my own XX12g to use, and the Azimuth seems a little balky. I have to really bear down and tighten the clutch, far more than I do with the Alt. clutch, otherwise it doesn't move when when pressing the Left or Right button.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, mount, Orion, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics