•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on IMX269 Cameras?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:07 PM

Orion recently released their StarShoot G21 Deep Space Color Imaging Camera, and Altair has had a camera with this sensor out since January, but I've seen almost ZERO discussion on CloudyNights about first-hand experiences.  The 3.3 micron pixels makes it appealing to me as a dual-purpose DSO and planetary OSC camera.  The sensor reportedly has no amp glow.

Anyone here spent any time with this camera, and/or have thoughts based on the specifications of pros/cons?

#2 Grimstod

Grimstod

Mariner 2

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

I can only comment on the difference between the sensors as they would probably perform in planetary cameras. The 1600MC vs this one. It is definitely more sensitive with a higher QE% but has some banding. The stars look tighter though as there is no micro lens issues like in the Panasonic sensor.

I to though am curious to know if others have tried the Orion or Altair versions that hold the IMX269. 

#3 ArneN

ArneN

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Ditto!
Arne

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:46 PM

I didnt know it existed. Decent results on abin

https://www.astrobin...m-269c-pro-tec/

#5 Grimstod

Grimstod

Mariner 2

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

One user on Astrobin said this about it.

"I like it a lot and I am glad I got it. There is not really any amp glow at all. I have a few hot pixels in my sensor of course, but I can stack light frames with or without any calibrations and the result looks pretty similar. Altair is the only company I’ve noticed using this sensor in one of their cameras (unless something has changed recently) - I don’t know why that is except I suppose Sony has a lot of good chip options these days.

I do all my imaging capture with SharpCap by the way (I probably should list that in my software lists). It runs Altair cameras perfectly."

#6 mrszymon

mrszymon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

I had an Altair 269C for a while.  Great little camera; I took a number of decent images with it, and I used it to improve the NINA altair drivers (and write https://nighttime-im...ltair_dualgain/ in the documentation).  It was very easy to use -- no amp glow to speak of (did an experiment and made a stack of 1800 second dark frames, which showed some amp glow with a boosted STF autostretch in PI).  Far more sensitive a sensor than the specs would imply, 3.3um is a good pixel size, and I really enjoyed it.  The only reason I sold it was because I live in bortle 8 LPLondon, and mono+3.5nm narrowband filters was the only way forward -- but if I lived in even reasonably dark skies I'd be happy with OSC and the 269C was a good OSC camera to have.

• Grimstod likes this

#7 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

I had an Altair 269C for a while.  Great little camera; I took a number of decent images with it, and I used it to improve the NINA altair drivers (and write https://nighttime-im...ltair_dualgain/ in the documentation).  It was very easy to use -- no amp glow to speak of (did an experiment and made a stack of 1800 second dark frames, which showed some amp glow with a boosted STF autostretch in PI).  Far more sensitive a sensor than the specs would imply, 3.3um is a good pixel size, and I really enjoyed it.  The only reason I sold it was because I live in bortle 8 LPLondon, and mono+3.5nm narrowband filters was the only way forward -- but if I lived in even reasonably dark skies I'd be happy with OSC and the 269C was a good OSC camera to have.

Did the camera cooperate in taking short-exposure flats?  That's been one big pet peeve with my 294.

• mrszymon likes this

#8 mrszymon

mrszymon

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:07 PM

Did the camera cooperate in taking short-exposure flats? That's been one big pet peeve with my 294.

Yes, I had no problems with calibration whatsoever. Flats calibrated with bias and uncalibrated matched master dark was all I needed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics