•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for mount recommendations

mount
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 msamazing

msamazing

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM

I am looking for a mount for astro photography but will also handle my C11 telescope.  I have been looking at the Losmandy G11 and the Paramount MYT mount.  I am open for other options too.  Based on reliability, accuracy, quality, and price important but not as important, I am interested in advice.

#2 MJB87

MJB87

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights...

Some questions to help inform the discussion.

1. Is this a fixed installation or a mobile setup?

2. What is your general budget? (It will simplify the feedback)

3. Are you looking for guided or unguided imaging?  

MJB

• mrlovt likes this

#3 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

Since I have a C11 and am told my CEM40 is way overloaded, I'm considering a change, so am curious as well how this comes out, and would like to through the CEM70 in for consideration.

#4 don314

don314

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:03 PM

I wanted a portable setup for AP that was not to heavy, so I went with Losmandy G11 with the G11 RA Extension Dovetail option, this allows the head to split in two (the DEC axis disconnects from the RA axis), reducing the maximum weight I have to carry. 
At the moment I’m using a 4’ refactor on it, but future plans are for a C11.

#5 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:36 PM

I am looking for a mount for astro photography but will also handle my C11 telescope.  I have been looking at the Losmandy G11 and the Paramount MYT mount.  I am open for other options too.  Based on reliability, accuracy, quality, and price important but not as important, I am interested in advice.

Do you intend to do astrophotography with your c11?  Do you intend to inspect your images at the pixel level and measure star intensity profiles, ie measure the full width at half maximum as a measure of image quality? Do you plan to do remote imaging, meaning you have to drive in a car to get to your observatory?   What level of guiding does your sky support?  Is 0.5-0.8” rms good enough for you, or do you want to be able to guide consistently at<0.5 “ rms?   Both mounts are good, the MyT is considered to be in a different class, from the G11, hence the 2X price differential. 

Jmd 

#6 alan.dang

alan.dang

Mariner 2

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:17 PM

“Based on reliability, accuracy, quality, and price important but not as important, I am interested in advice.”

10Micron, AP Mach2, Paramount ME II
Absolute encoders make a big difference in performance and it’s just a question of how much weight you need to carry.

G8, Vixen SXD2/SXP, RST-135, Panther TTS-160

When you need portability, then it’s harder to get ultra high performance. The Vixen are very portable but still give decent performance as long as it’s within the load capacity. The RST is ultra light but does require guiding. Panther needs a field rotator but is also lightweight.

My bias is that if you can afford the MyT, you are better off saving up a bit more and getting the Mach2 since it’s in another level of performance.

If portability is a concern, getting something like the RST or Vixen will give you something easily transportable for when you need it.

The Vixen AXJ is good if you need portability.
https://www.cloudyni...-the-vixen-axj/

#7 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

Absolute encoders make a big difference in performance and it’s just a question of how much weight you need to carry.

How relevant are they if you are going to guide? 

I assume that they extend the focal length / sub exposure substantially but not indefinitely, beyond some point you still need to guide, right? 

If you are routinely going to guide, how much do they help?

#8 MCinAZ

MCinAZ

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:16 AM

If you're planning to use a C11, you will need to guide, with an off-axis guider, no matter what mount you choose. It's just the nature of the telescope. If you're going to be guiding anyway, encoders are nice but probably fall into the expensive luxury category. A G11 will easily carry the load -- no direct experience with the MYT, though it should be equally capable. The current model G11 with the spring loaded worm drives is probably capable, however long exposure imaging at such a long focal length is pretty challenging. If you've already learned some of the basics at shorter focal lengths, it's mostly a matter of doing what you already know, just more precisely.

• Wildetelescope likes this

#9 idclimber

idclimber

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:43 AM

The MYT will hold your C11. When researching mounts I strongly considered it for my 12" LX200 a slightly bigger and heavier SCT. I was told by many on the Bisque forum it would work just fine. Eventually I found a used MX+ instead. This mount is heavy and not really very portable. I kind of regret not going with the smaller mount mostly because most of my imaging is with a refractor and not my SCT. 

If you also have a smaller scope and value portability I would strongly suggest the MTY. If you have a permanent location or are not concerned with moving it around than the MX+ will handle that weight with ease. 

The Paramounts are awesome mounts. 

#10 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

A C11 is a lot of scope. It is one thing if you are doing hyperstar. If this is not a Edge model with the mirror locks you are getting into the deep water. 

I have a GM 1000 HPS. I have an 11 Edge that just sits in the box unused. I use an 8 Edge for astrophotography.

Do you know what you are getting into with the C11?

Best of luck!

HA 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics