•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI294 dropping frames in SharpCap?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:36 PM

I'm having a problem that wasn't' occurring before.

I have two Zwo cameras hooked up to the 9.25 scope. The 174mm is in my OAG and the 294 is my main imaging camera.

Everything had been working fine until a couple of days ago when I cannot get any image out of my 294.

I open up SC and can select and focus my 174 on a tree in the distant but when I select the 294 all it does is give me a black screen and drops frames.

I'm beyond frustrated as night after night goes by with perfect weather and no 294.

I think there was a Windows update so that's in the mix.

Is there any lightweight software I can use that I can just open it up my cameras and basically view what the camera sees?

Thanks for any assistance as another night slips by....

#2 mrlovt

mrlovt

Vostok 1

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:58 PM

ZWO is updating their driver and software.  I believe they put out new software about that time, but it has been updated again since then.  I'd start by visiting https://astronomy-im...oftware-drivers to make sure you're starting with the latest.

#3 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:11 PM

ZWO is updating their driver and software.  I believe they put out new software about that time, but it has been updated again since then.  I'd start by visiting https://astronomy-im...oftware-drivers to make sure you're starting with the latest.

Thanks for sending along. So I did go by the site and uploaded the new drivers and the same thing. 174 works fine the 294 keeps failing at capture. Same USB3 run to my laptop from the 294 as the 174 is piggybacked into it and then into the laptop so I know its not the cable, connection, or USB port as I can see one of them perfectly.

I just downloaded the ZWO ASI capture program and tested there as well. The 174mm shows up and images. The 294 shows up and I can make adjustments but when I capture it fails.

Not sure what to make of it but Murphy's Law just kicked me in the **** with this one given the perfect weather.

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

How about trying 64 bit ASIStudio ?

Or use a different PC?

https://astronomy-im...1_x64_Setup.exe

If that fails, possible 294 has gone belly up?

#5 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:46 PM

How about trying 64 bit ASIStudio ?

Or use a different PC?

https://astronomy-im...1_x64_Setup.exe

If that fails, possible 294 has gone belly up?

Using the 64 bit. Maybe try the 86? Just don’t know why one camera would work and another wouldn’t. Assume they either both would or both wouldn’t in terms of the platform. As for the 294, it better not be dead as it’s less than a month old. 

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:09 PM

I ran across a problem with programs (SGP and possibly SharpCap) not using the ZWO native driver. Try using the ASCOM Camera 1 selection in the Camera Tab.

#7 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:33 PM

I ran across a problem with programs (SGP and possibly SharpCap) not using the ZWO native driver. Try using the ASCOM Camera 1 selection in the Camera Tab.

I’ll certainly give it a try. Again, just strange that the native driver works for the 174 but wouldn’t work with the 294. I think this is what makes this tough. If the driver works and one of their cameras work then they theoretically all should. I don’t believe the drivers are camera model specific?

This gives me something to try though so that’s for suggesting. 

#8 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

Hmmmm, I have been using SharpCap to take lunar and planetary images with my ASI294MC and deepsky images with my ASI294MC Pro. It seems to work okay. You might try turning the USB speed down. (I forget what the control is called. Throttle?)

#9 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

Hmmmm, I have been using SharpCap to take lunar and planetary images with my ASI294MC and deepsky images with my ASI294MC Pro. It seems to work okay. You might try turning the USB speed down. (I forget what the control is called. Throttle?)

I’ll take a look at that. I think it’s USB Boost or something...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics