•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Participate in doing science on Venus - Scientists are recruiting amateur imagers

astrophotography imaging planet solar
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 korwynkim

korwynkim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:54 PM

Details: http://pvol2.ehu.eus/bc/Venus/

BepiColombo will be doing a flyby of Venus mid-October and August next year. During the first flyby, BepiColombo and Akatsuki will only be able to image half of the planet, and images taken from Earth are needed to get the best data possible. You don't need a huge crazy telescope. Many people using amateur equipment have already helped out during previous flybys, and multiple papers have been published thanks to the combined data.

Tips on how to best image Venus and other information is at the link above.

BP_A_E_Globe_20201015-035749_woLIR_v2020

Edited by korwynkim, 21 September 2020 - 07:47 PM.

• Mike Phillips, eros312, Hesiod and 1 other like this

#2 korwynkim

korwynkim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

Just a reminder, as we approach flyby time, imagers can start collecting useful data.

#3 Diomedes

Diomedes

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:33 PM

I would like to participate. Any tips on how to ? are JPEGs from the video okay or is raw video data better?  I was thinking of using a C6/C8 and my Canon T6i to capture images of Venus.  

Edited by Diomedes, 09 October 2020 - 08:34 PM.

#4 korwynkim

korwynkim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:33 PM

Do you have filters? The website linked in my first post tells you which features you can expect to image given different filters. Searching the forum for tips on imaging Venus could be helpful as well.

It looks like the website expects processed image uploads rather than raw video.

• Diomedes likes this

#5 Diomedes

Diomedes

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 11 October 2020 - 10:29 AM

Do you have filters? The website linked in my first post tells you which features you can expect to image given different filters. Searching the forum for tips on imaging Venus could be helpful as well.

It looks like the website expects processed image uploads rather than raw video.

No filter, I saw the ones mentioned. Are any of the three options recommended for beginners ? I'm trying to figure out which one to get. 

#6 korwynkim

korwynkim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

You can find more details on filters for Venus here https://www.amateura...m/imaging-venus and here https://agenaastro.com/articles/guides/visual-and-imaging-filters/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html.

A beginner would probably want a filter they will use more often, like an H-alpha filter or an O-III filter.

• Diomedes likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, imaging, planet, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics