•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Found a 60-year old Japanese refractor in an antique shop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Faller

Tom Faller

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:57 PM

Hi. It's been a while since I've posted so I'm not sure about my etiquette. I found a 60mm refractor by SPI in an antique shop today. 1000mm f.l. and model 525, with box, eyepieces and such. Has a wooden tripod. I didn't buy it. I was wondering, since I don't own it, is it appropriate to post info about it here and let anyone interested contact the owner or should I post an ad in Classifieds and just put pix and contact info there? Thanks for any advice.

Tom

#2 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:30 PM

Hi. It's been a while since I've posted so I'm not sure about my etiquette. I found a 60mm refractor by SPI in an antique shop today. 1000mm f.l. and model 525, with box, eyepieces and such. Has a wooden tripod. I didn't buy it. I was wondering, since I don't own it, is it appropriate to post info about it here and let anyone interested contact the owner or should I post an ad in Classifieds and just put pix and contact info there? Thanks for any advice.

Tom

Post it here, not in the classifieds,  You can't sell what you don't own, unless given permission by the owner.

#3 Tom Faller

Tom Faller

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

Thanks to RichA.
It looks like there was a similar thread in Dec. 2019 by Toddeo. Background on the scope can be found there.
This scope was located in Newnan, GA. The store is: Recycling The Past Antiques, LLC. 107 Jefferson St., 30263.  
I have no financial interest in the store and live on the other side of Atlanta so I can't pop in to take more pictures.

The scope is a 60mm x 1000mm refractor. It is on a wooden alt-az tripod which may need adjustment or a screw but seems to be in good condition.I have four pictures, taken with my phone camera. I was about to run off for a dentist appointment so I apologize for not getting the best shots.
The focus wheel is stiff but smooth. I uncovered the objective and it seems clear and without any mold or bacteria spiders. I didn't notice if the objective is a single lens or multiple. The view down the tube looks round and symmetrical. The tube is .965".
There is a wooden box included which has at least three H eyepieces - 9mm, 6mm, 2.5mm and there may be a fourth in the diagonal, which was separate. There may be a Barlowe tube. There was a Sun filter. There is a small finder scope, which had a clear view and cross hairs.

There is a letter from the Yerkes Observatory, in reply to an inquiry by the addressee, which says that they can't correspond with the public but can sell them books. There is a book list of current topics for astronomers. One of the lists mentions the observatory's hours (no nights open to the public) and tours. The postmark and dates are from the Sixties.

I have no information about the previous owner, whose scope is a long way from Pennsylvania.
I have tried to make this accurate - I caught the spell-checker changing the e-mail and some words. I told the owner about this group but he may be slow to reach out, so I told him I would post his contact info.
Here are some pictures:

Whoops, I can only load 640x480 copies. The originals were 12Mp. Here is the first one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200921_130416 small.jpg

• RichA, Bomber Bob, SpaceConqueror3 and 1 other like this

#4 Tom Faller

Tom Faller

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:44 PM

Close-up of the specs.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200921_130300small.jpg

• Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob, Senex Bibax and 1 other like this

#5 Tom Faller

Tom Faller

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:45 PM

The scope box and accessories.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200921_130322small.jpg

• Bomber Bob, Senex Bibax and j.gardavsky like this

#6 Tom Faller

Tom Faller

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:45 PM

The letter from Yerkes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200921_130330small.jpg

• clamchip, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

It looks like an older Towa made scope. I believe that some of,the earliest Towa’s (~1956 or 57) did not have the familiar circle T maker’s mark. It appears to be in nice condition and pretty complete. I wouldn’t pay over $75 tho.

• GreyDay, Kasmos and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8 GreyDay

GreyDay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

It appears to be in nice condition and pretty complete. I wouldn’t pay over $75 tho.

I'd maybe go to $100 just because it's complete, though i'd have to be local and in need of yet another 60mm. Once postal/collection costs are added some 60's just aren't worth it.

• Kasmos likes this

#9 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:48 PM

It looks like an older Towa made scope. I believe that some of,the earliest Towa’s (~1956 or 57) did not have the familiar circle T maker’s mark. It appears to be in nice condition and pretty complete. I wouldn’t pay over $75 tho.

It's a nice looking scope, but I agree. At $250 you have so many better choices of how to spend your bucks. Especially in the 60mm class. The only 60 I paid slightly more for was my Unitron 114. The rest were in the $20 to $160 range with more than half of those under $100. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:45 PM

...I'm glad to see the above comments - when I looked at this the other day I was amazed to see that price tag...way, way over-priced imho: I won't say what they are selling for Downunder, the OP might be shocked! :lol:

Still, I guess they're worth what someone will pay... ;)

• PawPaw likes this

#11 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:21 PM

With the complete kit and the letter from Yerkes there's no way I'd be able to control

myself.

My mom says I have a addictive personality, what's that mean? I don't know.

Put me in that shop, that scope, I'd buy.

Robert

#12 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

I would buy the Yerkes letter if it was listed separately   but I get how it goes with the box

#13 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Messenger

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

I tend to think in terms of amortizing the cost of a thing over the timespan in which I'm likely to be using it, say maybe twenty years or more for something like this telescope. The box looks pretty nice and is a point in its favor. Still, even at around a buck a month, for that price I would like at least a decent GEM with it. I've never met one of those mounts with the altitude arm thingies that I got along with well at all.

#14 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

No way i would pay 250.

#15 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

Sure  a nice looking wood box.  I might give $100 just for that.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics