•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using the ZWO tilt plate on the new cameras

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:31 PM

I think I have a little bit of tilt in my camera and was wondering how people use the ZWO tilt adapter.  Im not a huge fan of turning the thread and checking, and doing this in multiple iterations. For one thing, I have no idea how far the plate tilts when I make one full turn of the screw. 

I guess I will just put up with the process and use a feeler gauge to determine roughly how much tilt I needed.  What Im wondering now is how the tilt screw does not shift.  Has anyone tried using shim tape as a support beneath the tilt plate so the tilt adjustment holds better?

I was thinking of maybe stacking this until I have enough to correct the slight tilt in my 2600c https://www.godarmac...t_p/g34061.htm 

#2 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

The process for me was to just adjust, capture, analyze and rinse & repeat on my 2600.  It is holding firm, whatever it does :)

#3 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:36 AM

How much did you need to adjust?

#4 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:02 AM

How much did you need to adjust?

It was very minor.  I adjusted the vertical position first - looking at ccdware my colimation was off so i used the top screw to center that (tighten for me, a little bit of sag tilt i assume). Then I ran autofocus, took another 3-4 1 minute subs on a star field, analyzed those and made sure my colimation was centered on vertical axis (even if still tilted left/right).

Once it my image circle was on center of vertical axis, i ran autofocus again, got a few more 1 minute subs of stars field. Ran the ccd tool again, looked for tilt and adjusted as necessary. (refocus between each adjustment) -  It favored  the right side of the camera looking at it from the tilt plate.  if i felt it was too tight to adjust, i tried a very minor amount of loosening on the opposite screw on tilt plate. It was all very minor..

it felt like battling sharp cap polar alignment when your screw adjustment is always +/-30"  and i wished i had a longer wrench to feel the minor adjustment more.

it's held these adjustments, so i haven't had to shim and i have taken apart the image train several times to swap out reducer to flattener and switch from filter wheel to filter drawer when i don't need the mass of the EFW in the way.

#5 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

The tilt screw doesn't shift because they work together with a push/pull method. One will push the plates apart adjusting the tilt, the other will pull them back together (minus what the push screw has done), thus locking the two. I can imagine if one torques too hard they could damage the thread, or them possibly working loose over time, but mine hasn't.

If you have a flattener/reducer, you can actually skip a few of these steps and get it closer quicker.. Defocus until you see a ring (made by the reducer/flattener). If you have tilt, you'll have one side of the ring, or if it's bad, one spot on the ring, which is brighter. You'll notice, it will stand out. Adjust the tilt using this method of averaging this brightness throughout the ring during Live View, THEN you can make the finer adjustments, checking with CCDI, pixel-peeping the stars, etc. But this will get you closer, sooner.

Edited by GrafikDihzahyn, 22 September 2020 - 12:05 PM.

#6 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:01 PM

You can also test tilt with a bahtinov mask and the program bahtinov grabber (free).

-Put a star in the center of the FOV.
-Focus it with bahtinov grabber.
-Move the star to each corner without refocus.
-Measure the amount of defocus with bahtinov grabber.

The goal is to have the same defocus on each corner.

I explain the procedure here:
https://aiastro.word...ilt-adjustment/

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Enviado desde mi Mi 9 Lite mediante Tapatalk

Edited by H-Alfa, 23 September 2020 - 01:19 AM.

• bugbit, lucam and starjunkie like this

#7 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:30 AM

I imagine the tilter only works if you have the backfocus for it.  With the rasa 8 and the Starizona filter drawer in place, there's no room for a tiltplate.

Edited by APshooter, 23 September 2020 - 07:30 AM.

#8 telfish

telfish

3D Astro Solutions, custom 3D printing for Astrophotography

• Vendors
  • Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:04 PM

I now adjust for tilt and FF/FR distance indoors, far easier. I had a large 17  X25 inch tracing panel, I made a frame for this covered in Aluminum foil, painted it with chalkboard paint then pierced  the foil with a 0.03 mm 3d printer cleaning needle. So I can now set this up in my basement and adjust for tilt etc in real time. I am working on a mark 2 version using strands of fiber optic .

• tkottary, RossW and sn2006gy like this

#9 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

Interesting. Do you have a picture to share? Correcting tilt on 6200 has been a nightmare so far.

I now adjust for tilt and FF/FR distance indoors, far easier. I had a large 17  X25 inch tracing panel, I made a frame for this covered in Aluminum foil, painted it with chalkboard paint then pierced  the foil with a 0.03 mm 3d printer cleaning needle. So I can now set this up in my basement and adjust for tilt etc in real time. I am working on a mark 2 version using strands of fiber optic .

Edited by tkottary, 23 September 2020 - 09:09 PM.

#10 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:18 PM

man i'd love to not have to spend a beautiful night tweaking tilt in the backyard if i could do it inside during the day :)

#11 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:25 PM

man i'd love to not have to spend a beautiful night tweaking tilt in the backyard if i could do it inside during the day smile.gif

Yep having a starfield in your basement is a great thing. 

#12 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:26 PM

Interesting. Do you have a picture to share? Correcting tilt on 6200 has been a nightmare so far.

I'll do some in the morning and post here.

• tkottary and RossW like this

#13 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:38 PM

man i'd love to not have to spend a beautiful night tweaking tilt in the backyard if i could do it inside during the day :)

I did this using a pc board drill and it makes nice stars but even 50’ from one wall of my basement to the other is not enough distance to be at infinity focus.

Imo a great way to star test is with a manual alt az mount, then you just need a laptop and camera, no need to even cool

#14 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

Ok some pics. It's not a thing of beauty but it works. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6730.JPG

Edited by telfish, 24 September 2020 - 04:15 PM.

#15 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

Pic2

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6733.JPG

#16 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:16 PM

Pic3

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6732.JPG

• H-Alfa and tkottary like this

#17 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:16 PM

Pic4

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6739.JPG

• tkottary likes this

#18 RossW

RossW

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Biwa, Japan

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:13 PM

So you were able achieve focus with your SCT at that short distance to target? What is the distance to target?

#19 telfish

telfish

• Vendors

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

So you were able achieve focus with your SCT at that short distance to target? What is the distance to target?

No, not tried the SCT. Only so far the TS71. I can use my Barn for longer distances and set the panel out in the open with the scope at the other end of the barn.

• RossW likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics