•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Load capacity of 16” Meade LX200GPS?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bouldermatt

Bouldermatt

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Boulder, Colorado

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:39 AM

I’m converting my scope from visual to Astrophotography. As I’m thinking about guide scopes and such, I’m curious what the load capacity of the scope mounted on a wedge to a concrete pier is? Between the Losmandy dovetail bar (6lbs), the guide scope and camera (4lbs) and a few other smaller items. Is 15lbs too much? And as such how well it guides and track with a decent amount of gear on it.

Edited by Bouldermatt, 22 September 2020 - 12:41 AM.

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

The 16" is built with much larger bearing surfaces than the smaller LX200GPS models.  Well equipped with weight balancers the 16" can handle medium widefield refractors and more.   

The key, just like with any telescope system is balancing.  While a German Equatorial suspends the OTA around a single bearing to support both the OTA and counterweights, the fork system supports the weight between two bearing surfaces so it can handle the weight.  Balancing is done considering the placement of accessories including other telescopes.  Even having them mounted under the OTA.  In an observatory there's alot more versatility because you can park the telescope in preferred positions so worrying about accessory scopes isn't an issue. 

I've seen 16" with big refractors mounted on them and with multiple smaller OTAs for things like solar & widefield.  Well balanced systems don't require the stepper motors to over-work themselves if care is taken to adjust them correctly. 

https://www.cloudyni...k-weight-limit/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics