•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIAIR Problems

accessories astrophotography cassegrain catadioptric EAA equipment SCT polar alignment imaging dso
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jujubean

Jujubean

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:35 AM

I just bought an ASIAIR V1 used from the classifieds here on CN. I took it out for the first time last night, and everything worked well. However, when I came back inside to process the data, I ran into a lot of trouble. I noticed that they were saved in FITS files, and they seemed to have very little data in them. A single frame viewed from my ipad when I was imaging looked better than a stacked and processed FITS image (I'm using PS). Should I save the images onto my ipad and then transfer them to my computer? Can I change the file type?

The other issue is when I tried to insert the SD card back into the ASIAIR, it says "License Check Failed". I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Edited by Jujubean, 22 September 2020 - 10:40 AM.

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 22 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

The image you were looking at on your iPad is a preview JPEG that is auto stretched. If there was a view of your target there, it’s in the fits file. It will have to be fully processed to bring out data. I think photoshop has a plug-in for fits but I don’t stack with it, so I am not sure.

I haven’t personally seen the license check error, but did you make a back up of the card’s operating system? It’s the first step in the manual.

Also I would search the ZWO forums for your error, it is probably well trodden ground over there.

Edited by wrnchhead, 22 September 2020 - 10:47 AM.

#3 Jujubean

Jujubean

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:10 PM

I did not make a backup of the os, I bought the ASIAIR used and it did not come with the manual.

I'll try to find out what to do for the error, but I don't want to have to deal with it every time I transfer files. I fully processed the FITS data and it seemed to have almost nothing in it except stars. I got more nebulosity in a single PNG preview. It also created this horrible grid pattern on the image.

Edited by Jujubean, 22 September 2020 - 12:13 PM.

#4 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

Well you shouldn’t have to deal with the license error every time. Something funky is up with that. I don’t think there is a hardcopy manual it is all online at their website.

What processing programs are you using?

#5 Jujubean

Jujubean

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:37 PM

I am using DSS and Photoshop. After a second processing attempt I was able to see some nebulosity but still not as much as a single frame. The FITS images also didn't contain any color.

#6 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:46 PM

Ok. This tutorial will get you some results with photoshop.

https://www.astropix...t/digtechs.html
Here is the table of contents
https://www.astropix...it/toc_dig.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, cassegrain, catadioptric, EAA, equipment, SCT, polar alignment, imaging, dso

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics