•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New smaller stellina $900 (kickstarter price)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beammeup

beammeup

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Straight of Gibraltar

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

Sneak Peek new Stellina telescope:

Attached Thumbnails

• vaonis2.jpg
  • vaonis 3.jpg

#2 Tangerman

Tangerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:59 AM

At this price point, I can see quite a few people taking this up. 

#3 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

LOL, it's basically a telephoto lens!

#4 Tangerman

Tangerman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:09 PM

LOL, it's basically a telephoto lens!

With lots of integrated software. While I still won't be getting it, I can understand that for $1000 (not $900), plenty would want to easily impress their friends with their pictures, without really getting into EAA or AP.

#5 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

With lots of integrated software. While I still won't be getting it, I can understand that for $1000 (not $900), plenty would want to easily impress their friends with their pictures, without really getting into EAA or AP.

Still, this thing doesn't have an ASI1600 attached to the back or anything. You're not going to be getting nice HA nebulae or anything like that. It's limited to M31, M33, a handful of nebulae like Orion and bright open clusters with only 200mm focal length. Obviously isn't gonna give good lunar/planetary shots either. 

At the very least the regular Stellina isn't going to run out of things to show you after a couple nights. 

Edited by Augustus, 22 September 2020 - 12:27 PM.

#6 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

From a consumer point of view this looks very promising. The price point and features feel more like a mass market product (which I think is critical for success).

If it works well this could be close to the sweet spot for products like this.

And of course most of us here are NOT the primary audience for this but I cheer these products on as they have the potential to expand the hobby. They could be the gateway drug for many.

Edited by Astrojedi, 22 September 2020 - 12:37 PM.

• jerobe likes this

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:47 PM

From a consumer point of view this looks very promising. The price point and features feel more like a mass market product (which I think is critical for success).

If it works well this could be close to the sweet spot for products like this.

And of course most of us here are NOT the primary audience for this but I cheer these products on as they have the potential to expand the hobby. They could be the gateway drug for many.

Again, what are you supposed to be able to capture with it? 200mm focal length is SHORT and this is not a visual telescope with interchangeable eyepieces. 

#8 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Again, what are you supposed to be able to capture with it? 200mm focal length is SHORT and this is not a visual telescope with interchangeable eyepieces. 

Quite a bit actually. Imaging is very different to visual. In fact I think this is the optimal image scale which can capture many large as well as small objects.

If I am guessing correctly from the specs it looks like the new scope has the 290MC or the newer IMX462 sensor. If so here is what it would look like at 200mm FL:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

#9 jprideaux

jprideaux

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:25 PM

Based on the meager info so far, the sensor might be a version of the imx291

http://www.camera-mo...ony-imx291.html

If so, it would have 2.9 micron pixels.  The speed would be fairly fast at F4.  (200/50)

Still, like the Stellina, this will be a different kind of experience of set-up, start collection, do something else for a while, and then come back to view image.  

Yeah, it won't be good for small objects (no surprise) so if you want to view planets, you will need a second scope.  

I am pleasantly surprised at the $999 kickstarter price (will eventually be $1500).  That brings it to a price-point that more people could swing.  Looking forward to learning more detail on Oct 1st.

#10 cmooney91

cmooney91

Messenger

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:06 PM

The 0.5e read noise leads me to believe it is an IMX462, which is an extremely attractive sensor for  short exposure performance.

I had plenty of fun with only 25-50mm focal length on a 1/3" IMX224 sensor, there is plenty to see at 200mm. (including Ha Neb with the bayer filter).

The price is far from bad.

let's consider

Evoguide 50 (slower @ F4.8) $275

ASI462 $300

AZ GTi  $380

Sub Total $955 (no computer, no automation, need learning curve)

Add ASI Air Pro $300

Total $1255 (no Automation, need learning curve)

To get a fully integrated turn-key solution for a measly $44 premium ain't bad.  

Sure the piece-part solution would be more flexible for a lifer hobbyist, but that's not really their target market.

Edited by cmooney91, 22 September 2020 - 09:16 PM.

• jprideaux likes this

#11 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Aurora

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

I agree. At this price I think it is definitely intriguing. And 200mm FL with a small pixel very high sensitivity CMOS sensor  is plenty to cover most objects except the smallest of galaxies.

Actually I also noticed the 0.5e read noise and came to the same conclusion.

I like what I see so far.

• atan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics