•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Splitting hairs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Parsonsk

Parsonsk

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:11 PM

I want to add a few new eye pieces and have limited them to the Celestron luminos and the Baader Hyperion. I’m curious what your thoughts are on which you like better

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Vanguard

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:43 AM

I have a Baader Hyperrion 31mm and a Luminos 23mm. This is just my opinion, but I greatly prefer the Baader. I have trouble positioning my head/eye with the Luminos, so I find it annoying to use. Have only used it with a C14, an SCT. Some people love the wide apparent field of view provided. To each his/her own.

The Baader has been used with a C8 f10 and with a 10 inch f4.5 Dob with great success. The eye relief is nice and I do not have trouble getting my eye to the right place for viewing. Baader gives gives the option to use it as a 1.25" or 2" eyepiece, and it comes with a nice pouch in a sturdy box. The Celestron just comes in a cardboard box.

Both are not premium but they are good choices for general visual observing.

Others will chime in I am sure. The forums here are searchable, and these mid-price popular eyepieces have been discussed already. Vendors often have specs listed on their sites. Some vendors provide more lists of specs than others, so seek out info from a number of them: Astronomics, B&H Photo, Woodland Hills, Mile High Astro, etc. Please don't say you are buying from Amazon. Astronomy vendors need your love and $.

• sportsmed likes this

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

I want to add a few new eye pieces and have limited them to the Celestron luminos and the Baader Hyperion. I’m curious what your thoughts are on which you like better

I would want to know more about you (do you wear glasses when observing) as well as your scope.

I've spent some time with the 31 mm Baader Aspheric. It might be acceptable in an SCT or other slow scope, it was disappointing in my scopes which are F/4.5 to F/7.5.

Jon

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:44 PM

Knowing what focal lengths you are considering would help as both of these lines are known to have some winners and losers. The Hyperion 31/36 are a different optical design than the rest of the series.

Personally I have a 10 Luminos, probably considered one of the better ones in the series, and it struggles with field curvature at F4 but does well at F7.7 and up. The eye placement is a little tricky at first but adjusting the height of the eyecup helps.

I haven’t tried the Hyperion. But the common sense part of me says both of these lines are generally considered respectable albeit nothing special. So if you want 20mm ER consider Hyperion. If you want ultrawide AFOV consider Luminos.

To me it seems like the general consensus on both of these lines is they are generally solid, with a couple winners and a couple dogs, and in both cases you can probably do better for the money.

Scott

#5 Parsonsk

Parsonsk

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 October 2020 - 01:47 PM

Hi there, I've been gone for a bit but wanted to further add to my post. Regarding what focal lengths perhaps I'll tell you what I have first and you can suggest what ones I need. 

So right now I have a Luminos 15mm and a X-Cel 25mm....thats it. 

I have the Nextstar Evolution 6 f/10 

I'm interested in the moon and planets mainly but would also like to see some deep space stuff. 

Price is a factor and have about $400 cdn. 

Thanks

#6 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:01 PM

There is a tricky factor in the longer vs shorter focal lengths.

An eyepiece at, for example, 5--20mm FL, (in 1.25 format)

is likely to have a negative   section up front and more easily 

match cleanly across the whole field.   

(thus, comparing eyepieces is tricky, long vs short fl)

It would be easier to compare a 5mm with a 15mm, for example,

than a 15 and a 25. 

#7 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 October 2020 - 03:08 PM

Hi there, I've been gone for a bit but wanted to further add to my post. Regarding what focal lengths perhaps I'll tell you what I have first and you can suggest what ones I need. 

So right now I have a Luminos 15mm and a X-Cel 25mm....thats it. 

I have the Nextstar Evolution 6 f/10 

I'm interested in the moon and planets mainly but would also like to see some deep space stuff. 

Price is a factor and have about $400 cdn. 

Thanks

If I were handed $400 (Cdn), for those targets,

and, given my preference for just 60 degees afov max,

I would pounce on an 11mm TV Delite, and a a TV 2X Barlow.

That might put it over $400 Cdn, but the 11mm Delite would play

very well with any half-decent Barlow you already have. By 11mm, it all works great.

Extending the end of an Orion or Meade shorty would serve it well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics