•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M45 - My first LRGB image to be published: Feedback?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:44 AM

Here is my first full attempt at an LRGB image. I've spent the last day and a half processing as I've been really learning how to use pixinsight as well. I have to step away at this point and clear my mind but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has feedback I can apply tomorrow.  It's about 3 hours total from my first long dark sky trip, split evenly between L and RGB time. Most of the clear time was spent on M31 (about 3x as much), so I expect that image will come out better in the end than this, but I like what I am seeing so far. 

Can't seem to compress enough to upload it here without compromising the usability of this image as a feedback tool, so I hope this dropbox link works.
https://www.dropbox....rsion8.jpg?dl=0

Equipment:
RedCat 51
ASI183MM-Pro
ZWO EFW
Chroma LRGB
ZWO Guide scope & Cam
Skyguider Pro

Processing Steps:
1. After integration, I noticed a bad star bloat in the red channel. To me it looks like a focus issue, but that's odd because I meticulously checked focus just before as well as in the middle of the RGB sequence and the other two channels aren't out at all. I also shot the frames over multiple nights so something else is at play (unless the bahtinov is wrong about the red channel only?) So I focused on masking the stars and then shrinking them in the red channel with MorphologicalTransformation before RGB combination. It helped a bit but not as much as I wanted. I spent most of the time on generating masks.

2. After RGB combination I applied aggressive RGB noise reduction with MultiscaleLinearTransform and set the RGB aside.

3. sharpened the L channel using a star mask

4. Applied a less aggressive lum noise reduction to L

5. Finalized stretches before LRGBCombination

6. Final touches to stretches and to saturation before exporting and uploading to dropbox.

Thanks for viewing.

• jimandlaura26, F.Meiresonne, PeteD and 8 others like this

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:58 AM

Nice image!

Especially when one considers the aperture...

• Kevin Thurman likes this

#3 imtl

imtl

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:26 AM

Why save it as jpg? You're ruining your image. Save as png or tiff.

#4 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

Why save it as jpg? You're ruining your image. Save as png or tiff.

I'll upload a png as well, i just did that to save people a huge download.

#5 limeyx

limeyx

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

Nice image !

#6 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

This link should take you to a PNG version. I made a slight levels adjustment in GIMP after viewing the image on more screens.

https://www.dropbox....rsion8.png?dl=0

#7 droe

droe

Viking 1

• Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:42 PM

I hope you dont mind but I played with your data a little bit. You have an insane amount of detail in your image. It is one of the best I have seen. Awesome job.

Attached Thumbnails

• M45Version8NS.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, nofxrx, limeyx and 1 other like this

#8 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:09 PM

I hope you dont mind but I played with your data a little bit. You have an insane amount of detail in your image. It is one of the best I have seen. Awesome job.

Thanks! I like your processing too. 

I've posted what I consider to be the "final" image on astrobin now. Of course I can always upload revisions but this will be the version my friends and family see on social media, so it is in that way at least a little bit "final" Stay tuned for my M31, which has about twice as much data. I might wait to publish that until I can shoot h-alpha to add to the red channel, but I might not be patient enough for that.

https://www.astrobin.com/k4qylu/

• jerahian likes this

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:19 AM

Wonderful image, no wonder to have such a beautiful image under Bortle 3, i feel i will never get good M45 under Bortle 8/9 even with very long time integration, great job there.

#10 GiorgioF

GiorgioF

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:49 AM

This is a really noticeable shot! A lot of wonderful details! Would you mind to share also some imaging data like how many light, duration of each, bortle sky,....? This will help me a lot and learn more.

#11 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

This is a really noticeable shot! A lot of wonderful details! Would you mind to share also some imaging data like how many light, duration of each, bortle sky,....? This will help me a lot and learn more.

Details are in the astrobin page but ill briefly summarize here:
L: 50x 120s at gain 0
RGB: 10x 180s each channel at gain 130
60 darks each
25 flats each
100 bias for each gain setting
Sensor temp -10C

#12 GiorgioF

GiorgioF

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:25 PM

Apologies Kevin, as was unable to take my eyes out of the picture, I didn't note the link.
It's really amazing the quantity of tiny filaments and details from the nebulosity

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics