•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lots of satellites appearing at 4:45 o' clock in the morning.....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Benni123456

Benni123456

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:00 AM

Hi there, 

In the last weeks we had many clear nights....

Currently, due to covid, there are almost no airplanes.

But starting at 4:45, it now seems regularly to look as if everywhere there are satellites appearing and striking through the image....

This is no meteor shower, because some are coming in herds of 5. And some are randomly going around.

Is that this Musk nonsense?

The thing is: Modern sensors can observe even in twilight. Especially for narrowband. Some may also want to catch asteroids, which they can also do in twilight. 

Can someone tell this guy to bring his satellite army after sunrise...?

Especially in Winter, you can still image at 4:50 o' clock since sunrise is much later then..

I hope someone told this Musk guy about astronomical dawn, nautical dawn and surise, and that this changes every day a bit....

I should add that so much noise in the pictures was not there just a few years ago....

Edited by Benni123456, 23 September 2020 - 01:10 AM.

#2 Big_Eight

Big_Eight

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:25 AM

I observed at least 5 satellites while looking at Jupiter the other night they came right across my eyepiece.

#3 VariableBob

VariableBob

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:39 AM

In which direction did you have your camera pointed?  There are a lot of geosynchronous satellites located in the constellation Eridanus.  They are stationary so if one was tracking the stars the satellites appear as trails in the images.

#4 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:16 PM

Moving this to CCD/CMOS Astro Camera Imaging & Processing.

Charlie

#5 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:56 PM

The satellites are higher up by several 100km.  During night they are in the shade, but approaching dawn, they already can 'see' the sun while you at ground level are still in the shade, and reflect light down....

• sn2006gy likes this

#6 Cali

Cali

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 03 October 2020 - 06:41 PM

You're probably seeing SpaceX's Starlink satellites. You can search around the Light Pollution thread but if I recall its within 2 hours after sunset and 2 hours prior to sunrise when they are most apt to be seen. And its only going to get worse ...

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 03 October 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#7 Benni123456

Benni123456

Viking 1

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Munich, Germany

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:29 PM

Hi, sorry to answer so late....

I do not have pointed it to eridanus... But to the other side...

Yes, it is 2 hours prior to sunrise....

Thank you Cali for the graphics... I thought that starlink would always come in hordes of 5. These are also in my images ... But apparently there are also these starlink  loners that have larger distances... I suspected that this was starlink too because a few years ago, it was not that intense....

Edited by Benni123456, 17 October 2020 - 04:29 PM.

#8 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Are you saying there are more nowadays regardless of time of night,  or there seem to be more at 4:30 am than at midnight?

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics