•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Advise me on a relatively no fuss, camera to pair with my small refractor for widefield imaging.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:06 AM

Hi All,

I would like some opinions on very widefield AP kit. 

Half of my kit below is going to a remote observatory in Spain (the 10 micron, FSQ and QHY camera). 

At home, I will have my LZOS 152 (+QSI for detailed DSO and galaxies) and my Edge (+ASI290 for planets) and I will also have my WO 71mm. I am interested in a relatively no fuss widefield camera option for this scope. I like in the UK so generally having a cooled camera isn't a huge deal. i was thinking....

1. A modified DSLR?

The advantage here would be that I could avoid messing around with getting new filters and although I have no experience with one shot color cameras, it seems like it would be fun to go down this route. After all, I will have a fairly widefield set up at a remote site for NB imaging. 

Disadvantages - (?) - not a dedicated astro camera and no cooling (but I am not sure if this really represents a disadvantage in practical terms)

2. A dedicated OSC camera - if so, which would you consider for widefield imaging?

I have my own opinions and I am not a novice but I have no experience with DSLRs. Please lend me your thoughts. 

Thanks, 

Simon

Edited by SimonIRE, 23 September 2020 - 04:06 AM.

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

For widest field on a givin scope a larger sensor is helpful. But some of the smaller refractors can't produce a corrected image circle big enough to cover the sensor. Full frame is widest field, but may be too big for the 71mm (check with WO71 users). Aps-c is probably the best choice. Some of the newest cameras from nikon are quite low in noise. The issue here is a body cost near 2k$. You can get a cooled asi2600 for that relative price range. Advantage of the cooled camera is a set point imaging temperature to build a simplified darks library and low image noise, plus no amp glow.

To go lower cost a used camera body is cost effective, but technology advances so fast that much over 2 years old is out performed to a significant amount buy the newest generation. Your time and efforts will be better served by the latest equipment. Check the specifications for the cameras of choice, some are greatly better than others for low light astrophotography.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  • SimonIRE likes this

#3 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

An ASI533 is absolutely a no fuss modern camera. Put an l-pro on it during moon for broadband, shoot with just an UV/IR filter during new moon or shoot with an l-enhance for emission nebula and enjoy a hassle free experience.

Edited by sn2006gy, 23 September 2020 - 08:24 AM.

#4 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:30 AM

An ASI533 is absolutely a no fuss modern camera. Put an l-pro on it during moon for broadband, shoot with just an UV/IR filter during new moon or shoot with an l-enhance for emission nebula and enjoy a hassle free experience.

The ASI533 has a fairly small sensor though? I was looking for something a little bigger. I may upgrade my WO to an FSQ85 (love the 106), so I may have more to play with in the near future. 

#5 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

The 2600mc is its big brother (and what I use) - but it is a bit more of a beast to tame. APS-C and larger shows all the problems of imaging train from tilt to collimation to focuser sag to vignette.  The 533 just plugs in and works great and hides all that even if small.

I absolutely love my 2600mc and it's made me second guess bothering with mono when paired with some of the great filters we have these days for NB imaging.  Just dither, bayer drizzle and enjoy beautiful images!

Edited by sn2006gy, 23 September 2020 - 08:39 AM.

• drd715 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics