•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Mars animation and a reprocessed Ganymede transit with a C8 SCT

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:40 AM

Hi,

I recently secured some of my best images of Mars in the very early morning of Sept 20. I judged the seeing to be 6/10 and my first image taken at 200920123802 at an elevation of about 38.5 degrees was the best of 8 images taken over the next hour. I am now using a 2x barlow to give a confirmed f/20 which I thinks gives better images with my 2.4 micron pixel camera, better colour and easier processing.

Mars 200920_00_38_12_lapl4_ap41_2000f.jpg

I recently received advice from the forum that the PIPP software could make animated GIFs so I took all 8 images and made an animated GIF posted below. The last image is timed at 200920132826. The interval is about 50 minutes.

Mars 200920_00_38_12_lapl4_ap41_2000f_pipp.gif

You can see Syrtis Major is coming into view over the left hand limb and the seeing is deteriorating. When I got up around 8am, a wind was blowing  and weather was moving in. It is typical here that the seeing deteriorates as winds to the lee of the ranges strengthen from the westerly quarter.

Some time ago I posted an animated GIF of a Ganymede transit. The processing was a bit rough then and I recently reprocessed them and made an animated GIF of this event. The file was a liitle too big for this post so it follows below.

Cheers Paul

Edited by Kiwi Paul, 23 September 2020 - 04:44 AM.

• Magellanico, JMP, R Botero and 10 others like this

#2 Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carterton, New Zealand

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:42 AM

Here is the reworked Ganymede transit.

There are 20 images mostly spaced 10 mins apart. Each image is 10% of a 60 sec video with about 300 stacked frames. The transit occurs between about 0655 and 1015 UTC on July 10th.

The beginning of the clip starts with Jupiter about 15 degrees above the horizon with the last 3 hours and 20 minutes later with the planet at about 40 degrees high or so. You can see how the definition improves as the planet gains altitude. The other interesting aspect is one of contrast. The moon (on the left side) is quite dark crossing the disk but then becomes brighter as it moves off.

G 18_55_38_Ganymede_lapl6_ap58 66_pipp.gif

...I like animations!

Cheers Paul

• JMP, R Botero, Foc and 5 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics