•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Deep sky objects in Aquarius, Pisces and Cetus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Forres, NE Scotland, UK

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:35 AM

I have a lot to entertain myself in Pegasus in the autumn skies with my 10".

However I haven't explored the constellations of Aquarius, Pisces and Cetus as much as the rest of the autumn skies. This is because they lie low in my sky in Scotland do I only have a window of 2 months to see them, and I need to see them when I drive to my dark spot. And even then, the constellations are only seen for about 2 hours a night. So planning is key.

So what interesting deep sky objects are there in this region of the sky?

I regularly see the Helix, Saturn and Skull nebula, M2, M72-3, M74 and M77, the brightest objects at these southern skies. But what else is there?

Unlike other constellations like where I know a ton of challenging objects for my 10", I know little about these constellations.

Any interesting Abell clusters, distant galaxies or quasars, or other interesting nebula? As these are "galaxy constellations" I am sure that there are many interesting targets to see.
  • skybsd and zleonis like this

#2 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:15 AM

Enjoy your surfing in the sea [pun intended] .If you want challenging objects ( not sure whether it's fair for 10") and as far as galaxies are concerned what about IC 1613 and NGC 247 ? Beware the former has unbelievable low surface brightness . Also if you can get a little down , you can find the fornax cluster of galaxies where you can pick some classic galaxies like the silver coin in sculptor along with some superb hard galaxies . Also there are a lot of galaxies in Pegasus and Andromeda . The Stephan's quintet is quite hard to see all the four members . As you have seen this much , I bet you have bagged NGC 891 . Sry for the Andromeda and Pegasus if you can forgive for that 20° in the sky.

Edited by Voyager 3, 24 September 2020 - 09:16 AM.

#3 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Forres, NE Scotland, UK

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:30 PM

Thanks!

I haven´t tried IC1613 yet. NGC247 requires me to drive a good dark location with great transparency over the southern skies, as the galaxy transits just 5-10 degrees above horizon.

NGC891 is easy. I see it often. I saw it yesterday and the night was good. M33 was quite bright in the scope.

The Stephan quartet is indeed difficult. I can see perhaps 2 members there, but I need to try it under excellent conditions. Its a hard target.

Enjoy your surfing in the sea [pun intended] .If you want challenging objects ( not sure whether it's fair for 10") and as far as galaxies are concerned what about IC 1613 and NGC 247 ? Beware the former has unbelievable low surface brightness . Also if you can get a little down , you can find the fornax cluster of galaxies where you can pick some classic galaxies like the silver coin in sculptor along with some superb hard galaxies . Also there are a lot of galaxies in Pegasus and Andromeda . The Stephan's quintet is quite hard to see all the four members . As you have seen this much , I bet you have bagged NGC 891 . Sry for the Andromeda and Pegasus if you can forgive for that 20° in the sky.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics