•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A poor workman blames ...............

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chanctonbury

Chanctonbury

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern England

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:15 AM

I have been imaging a series of dim Sharpless objects recently and have really struggled to obtain the OIII data that I require to complete bi-color versions. There has been plentiful Ha (as usual) but even my 30 minute exposures have struggled to collect sufficient clean OIII data, so much so that I have decided to keep my current project (SH2-115) as a mono Ha image! I started to suspect (for a second time) that my Astrodon 3Nm OIII filter was failing so decided to get a reality check on how it was performing. SH2-105 (The Crescent Nebula) is rich in OIII so this made for a good test subject to find out if the filter had gone faulty or not.

The data I captured has settled the argument for me - sorry Mr. Filter, I never should have doubted you!

SH2-105_OIII.jpg

• elmiko, vakulenko_sergiy, wrnchhead and 1 other like this

#2 APshooter

APshooter

Skylab

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:17 AM

Yes, not every object has lots of Oiii.  M27 has tons, as does M16.

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:05 AM

Dang that's a really awesome shot of the crescent. I did it earlier in the year before I had Oii and Sii, so just HaRGB. I got a 3nm Oii since they were on sale, and M27 is almost too bright in Oii even at 3nm. May have to learn how to make an HDR to prevent blow out in Oii. 

It is neat to see how objects react to different filters. 

#4 Chanctonbury

Chanctonbury

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

Yes, not every object has lots of Oiii.  M27 has tons, as does M16.

Yes indeed, M27 is also very rich in OIII and one of my favorite objects to image. Sadly M16 is too low on my tree and hill-lined horizon to capture!

#5 Chanctonbury

Chanctonbury

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

Dang that's a really awesome shot of the crescent. I did it earlier in the year before I had Oii and Sii, so just HaRGB. I got a 3nm Oii since they were on sale, and M27 is almost too bright in Oii even at 3nm. May have to learn how to make an HDR to prevent blow out in Oii.

It is neat to see how objects react to different filters.

Thanks Eric and I too like to compare the results from different filters as it helps to appreciate what really makes up a nebula. I wish I had bought mine 'on sale' grin.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics