•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 Planets in Superb Definition.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:31 AM

Sept. 17 brought one of those magic steady nights.......already posted the Jupiter views; and sadly climbing ground mist prevented a hoped-for follow-up with Saturn. 

After that I was relieved the mist reached no higher, and that later arriving Mars would be ok. Uranus too was unaffected; playing safe took on that before Mars.  Banding was beyond doubt and came to sense a brightness in the NTrop/Temp region and was followed long enough to judge its leading side nearing the CM (sketch)......

Then went to Mars.......WOW!!!.......still with 635x and felt no need to go lower and simply stood there a bit overwhelmed initially at the thought of the coming sketching effort.  As it was the seeing was so obliging that the detail presented could be sketched at leisure.  Reminding me of another night with Mars back in 2007 December – still perhaps my best of all Mars session (Syrtis Major then).

The Sept. 17 view night-ambience: the wildlife callings had me immersed in the ‘zone’ of many such nights.....Mr & Mrs Tawny Owl’s exchanges with a Little Owl; then the calling foxes (riling the farm dogs for miles it seemed) along with our local all-night singing Robin.

Back to Uranus, reluctantly leaving Mars, to find that light spot confirmingly past the CM (sketch)........

Sept. 21/22 Saturn: doing my routine intensity estimates (19:30 UTC) the seeing was Antoniadi III at best and did not mind me to sketch it.  It soon approaching the houses faded any hope of a better view.  Went in for a quick meal and coming back out caught sight of Arcturus looking unusually steady......rare when going down in the west.  Back at the scope swept to Saturn and WOW!!....the lost view of Sept. 17 was back it seemed (sketch). 

One of those subtle EZ(N) oval brightenings was soon caught well near the CM.  Also could plainly see the Ring shadow on the globe starting to show through Ring C where it crosses the Globe (Cm – not to be confused with CM).

Keeping fingers crossed for Mars and it too was superb, but worryingly with some fitful scrambling turbulence; so the sketch was more laboured than Sept. 17.  Even so along with the striking bluish white NPH  there was some nice localized hues caught.  In particular after recent dullness it was pleasing to see Chryse coming into view showing a lightness of somewhat misted flesh tones.

Interestingly the bright yellowness over the mid-limb regions seems all but diminished and given way to the bluish haze there.  In addition on a few nights late August on there has seemed an intensification of that hazy centred near +40º latitude regardless  of which longitude/region was at the limb.

Finalizing the sketch with plan to go to Uranus that turbulence returned and continued such that I had to close down and get to bed for a busy day the morrow.........seems the lack of wildlife chorus that night told they knew something I did not..........Dave.  (Edit: some data corrected)

Plnts 2020 Sep 17 21.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 23 September 2020 - 12:28 PM.

• Magellanico, stanislas-jean, Jef De Wit and 18 others like this

#2 JMP

JMP

Apollo

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:22 AM

These are terrific, Dave, Uranus is amazing!
  • flt158 likes this

#3 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:36 AM

Gosh! shocked.gif

What excellent sketches you have given us here!

Thank you very much for each one, Dave. 

635X on Mars is truly amazing. 

Can you tell us what eyepiece gives you that magnification, please?

For those who remember the Viking spacecraft which landed on Mars in 1977 Chryse has very special memories. gramps.gif    

But the intricacies which included in both your sketches are very well shown indeed.   

Uranus with its white spot looks very good too. 

Lastly, the C-ring and the inner darker part of the B ring look excellent too, Dave! 

Thank you for spoiling us all. 

I am sure you will be commemorating such a great night with some loud Beethoven music. 

Please tell us what you are considering to put on. 

Thank you. 

Clear skies from Aubrey.  

• David Gray likes this

#4 Marvin452

Marvin452

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:01 PM

Fantastically detailed sketches and notes Dave!! 

#5 Sergey Stern

Sergey Stern

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:28 PM

I need your telescope, your observatory and your motorcycle.

smile.gif

Sergey

Edited by Sergey Stern, 23 September 2020 - 12:37 PM.

• David Gray likes this

#6 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:03 PM

Sept. 17 brought one of those magic steady nights.......already posted the Jupiter views; and sadly climbing ground mist prevented a hoped-for follow-up with Saturn. 

After that I was relieved the mist reached no higher, and that later arriving Mars would be ok. Uranus too was unaffected; playing safe took on that before Mars.  Banding was beyond doubt and came to sense a brightness in the NTrop/Temp region and was followed long enough to judge its leading side nearing the CM (sketch)......

Then went to Mars.......WOW!!!.......still with 635x and felt no need to go lower and simply stood there a bit overwhelmed initially at the thought of the coming sketching effort.  As it was the seeing was so obliging that the detail presented could be sketched at leisure.  Reminding me of another night with Mars back in 2007 December – still perhaps my best of all Mars session (Syrtis Major then).

The Sept. 17 view night-ambience: the wildlife callings had me immersed in the ‘zone’ of many such nights.....Mr & Mrs Tawny Owl’s exchanges with a Little Owl; then the calling foxes (riling the farm dogs for miles it seemed) along with our local all-night singing Robin.

Back to Uranus, reluctantly leaving Mars, to find that light spot confirmingly past the CM (sketch)........

Sept. 21/22 Saturn: doing my routine intensity estimates (19:30 UTC) the seeing was Antoniadi III at best and did not mind me to sketch it.  It soon approaching the houses faded any hope of a better view.  Went in for a quick meal and coming back out caught sight of Arcturus looking unusually steady......rare when going down in the west.  Back at the scope swept to Saturn and WOW!!....the lost view of Sept. 17 was back it seemed (sketch). 

One of those subtle EZ(N) oval brightenings was soon caught well near the CM.  Also could plainly see the Ring shadow on the globe starting to show through Ring C where it crosses the Globe (Cm – not to be confused with CM).

Keeping fingers crossed for Mars and it too was superb, but worryingly with some fitful scrambling turbulence; so the sketch was more laboured than Sept. 17.  Even so along with the striking bluish white NPH  there was some nice localized hues caught.  In particular after recent dullness it was pleasing to see Chryse coming into view showing a lightness of somewhat misted flesh tones.

Interestingly the bright yellowness over the mid-limb regions seems all but diminished and given way to the bluish haze there.  In addition on a few nights late August on there has seemed an intensification of that hazy centred near +40º latitude regardless  of which longitude/region was at the limb.

Finalizing the sketch with plan to go to Uranus that turbulence returned and continued such that I had to close down and get to bed for a busy day the morrow.........seems the lack of wildlife chorus that night told they knew something I did not..........Dave.  (Edit: some data corrected)

attachicon.gifPlnts 2020 Sep 17 21.jpg

I like comparing my sketches with my small 4" refractor to much bigger scopes for similar central meridians.

One thing is bugging me why I mistook the area outlined with an arrow pointing for a bright patch. Although it could have rotated out of view (CM 344˚ vs 323˚). But Stanislas observed it is as well for a CM of 323˚ (post #15: https://www.cloudyni...6th/?p=10523999).

I also overestimated the size of Hellas somewhat (3 days earlier I observed Mars with the same  CM to yours 349˚ but in that case I recorded Hellas  smaller in size but at the wrong location: https://www.cloudyni...-4ed-refractor/).

Hope it is okay to copy and paste your sketch again (cannot cite it otherwise):

DavidGray Mars 21 Sep.jpeg Compare2DavidGray Mars 21 Sep.jpeg

Date: 22 Sep 2020 21:30--21:45 UT

Borg 101ED, F=640mm, Takahashi 1.25" prism, Vixen Porta Mount, Mag: 216x (Tele Vue Nagler Zoom 3-6mm)

CM: 323˚

Edited by Magnetic Field, 23 September 2020 - 02:26 PM.

• Magellanico, niteskystargazer and flt158 like this

#7 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:31 AM

Many Thanks to you all for the Comments, Input & Likes...........smile.gif

I am sure you will be commemorating such a great night with some loud Beethoven music. 

Please tell us what you are considering to put on. 

Thanks Aubrey......

I think it would likely be his 6th Symphony (Pastoral); in particular the last movement might suit.......smile.gif

Cheers,
Dave.

Edited by David Gray, 24 September 2020 - 05:45 AM.

• flt158 likes this

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:41 AM

One thing is bugging me why I mistook the area outlined with an arrow pointing for a bright patch. Although it could have rotated out of view (CM 344˚ vs 323˚). But Stanislas observed it is as well for a CM of 323˚ (post #15: https://www.cloudyni...6th/?p=10523999).

Your CM 323º would still have some lighter desert showing at the terminator, and likely mist/frost(?)-bright.  Whereas my CM 344º it is largely gone from view; as you surmised. 

On other recent dates I have noted a muted blue-grey lightness along the terminator or at least part/s of it, such as my CM 32º here.  With my Sep 22 view I did note a ‘wooliness’ to the Syrtis Major but missed recording any ‘bluish’ haze that might have been there – certainly not very apparent if it was....... If I catch CM c.323º the coming nights will pay particular attention (also with the 3-inch).

Could be the wrong Northern season for those striking Syrtis blue clouds........here a Hubble image taken around Ls 150º (late Northern Summer/early Autumn). The current is Ls 284º -  into North-Winter.   

https://www.nasa.gov...age/i1615ay.jpg

• Magnetic Field likes this

#9 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Aubrey......

I think it would likely be his 6th Symphony (Pastoral); in particular the last movement might suit.......smile.gif

Cheers,
Dave.

Ah yes, Dave. 

I would go along with Symphony No. 6. waytogo.gif

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

#10 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

Thanks Aubrey......

Cheers,
Dave.

Ah yes, Dave. 

I would go along with Symphony No. 6. waytogo.gif

Clear skies from Aubrey. 

#11 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Aubrey......

Cheers,
Dave.

Symphony number 5 (conducted by Toscanini*** which was the best Beethoven conductor): the death and fate of the small refractor (4"-7").

Because if we are honest (Sketching section on cloudynights and ALPO Japan) planetary detail reveals itself with instruments larger than 10".

Anyway I enjoy my small 4" refractor (I haven't got a backyard where I could use something bigger).

***I have zero knowledge about music theory (I cannot even read notes) but I thought he was one of the better conductors for Beethoven.

Edited by Magnetic Field, 24 September 2020 - 08:25 AM.

• flt158 likes this

#12 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

Dave,

Very good sketches of 3 Planets (In Superb Definition) smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#13 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

Dave,

What everyone above has said.

Really impressive work.

Superb.

Frank :)

#14 Warmvet

Warmvet

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hawaii

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

Dave,

Your sketches are always a treasure trove of information and precise beauty. Bravo

Cindy

#15 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

Many Thanks Tom, Frank, Cindy.........smile.gif

Way too windy here the now, but maybe after tomorrow

for picking up on things again.........tongue2.gif

Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics