•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASIair Pro calibration issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Green Bay

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:51 AM

Hi folks, I just picked up an ASIair Pro specifically for autoguiding. The mount is a CGE Pro, the guide cam is an ASI224MC, the guide scope is a 100mm Mead ED f/9 (900mm). On calibration it errors out with "Calibration Failure, RA star did not move enough". It is not a cable issue because the mount CAN be controlled using the "preview" part of the ASIair application. Also SkySafari Pro also can control the mount through the ASIair. The mount itself has no issues using PHD2 off of a laptop and different cable. If it is not the cable, and basic Asiair connections, it has to either be a setting issue or a bug. As far as settings, there are very few. The exposure length, focal length of the guidescope and calibration steps in ms, max RA and Dec duration in ms. The default values are 2000ms. The f/l is 900n on the guidescope and based on some of the tutorials I viewed I played with some of the other ms settings but still get the error that the star hasn't moved enough. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:45 AM

Aside from increasing duration try increasing guide speed.  This may help if your guide speed currently is less than 1X.  If already at 1X duration, step size and duration will have to be increased.  Funny, you’d think with 900 mm fl that movement in RA would not be an issue.  Mine calibrated using a 120 mm guidescope fl. using the default values.  You could double check the guidescope fl entered initially as this may affect your calibration result too.  if you can, try PhD2 and see what settings work for your setup.  This could provide you with a starting point in ASIair.  Just a last thought; try decreasing the values...you never know given the black art of autoguiding.

#3 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the input Dwight. I got the ASIair at Starzona and gave them a call. They have good customer support but were clueless, not having run into this before. They recommended the Facebook newsgroup, so I applied for membership and will run it past them.

They did suggest backlash as a possible issue, but that is unlikely given that PHD2 will calibrate. Last night I also set the guide rate in the mount software to 99% sidereal with no effect. Tonight if it's clear, I'll try some 'wild' settings and see if there's any changes.

Any other input or thoughts are welcome.

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:44 PM

Backlash could be suspected if it was the Dec axis.  RA just stops momentarily or goes forward faster for a short period.  

#5 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

Fixed it. What I did was a MC (Motor Controller) update on the mount. It is an old mount but there was an update. So I did the update and the ASIAir worked last night.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics