•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shipping Cost for Planewave 12.5

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

Hi,

I'm being charged $1250 USD to have this shipped to me in Canada (near the border). It is being shipped by Pilot Freight Services. To me, $1250 USD seems quite steep when UPS can do it for $600.

Can anyone tell me what their shipping cost for this scope was and who shipped it?

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:49 AM

It's likely the insurance cost to ship internationally. That is steep though.

#3 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:29 AM

It's likely the insurance cost to ship internationally. That is steep though.

Even with the insurance for $10,000 USD - UPS was $600 USD. OPT told me it was this high because it also covered the duties and taxes - which seemed odd, but who knows? I'll be finding out soon enough. For the $1250 USD I'm sure I could have had it delivered within a day or 2. Its now 2 days past its expected delivery date of 22 Sep. It was sent economy - so for that "economy" price those duties/taxes had better be part of that $1250 USD??

#4 carver2011

carver2011

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:25 AM

My friend is getting a Planeware scope and mount delivered in the U.S., the shipping is $1000. At the current exchange rate that’s $1300 Canadian . Your $1225 US is $1633 Canadian, that seems high.

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

When you see the crate you will understand part of the shipping cost. I picked my scope up at the factory without a crate. Big mistake. They charge around 500 for a crate and so now I'm stuck if I ever need service for it. I never thought that they would move to Michigan. 

Rgrds-Ross

#6 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

When you see the crate you will understand part of the shipping cost. I picked my scope up at the factory without a crate. Big mistake. They charge around 500 for a crate and so now I'm stuck if I ever need service for it. I never thought that they would move to Michigan. 

Rgrds-Ross

Well, I was charged an extra $200 just for crating so that puts me at $1450 USD. The shipped package is 200lbs - must be a very solid crate as the scope is only about 55lbs?

• Moonlight in Vermont likes this

#7 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland bay shoreline

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

My PW14 shipped back in Feb 2020 to Maryland was $275 for crate and $600 for drop-ship from PW to my door. Purchase was handled thru OPT. Delivery logistics from factory pickup thru Pilot Freight to local MD depot and then by lift-gate truck for last 40-miles to my door. Shipping weight at 225-lbs on crate. Sounds like international $$ add-on. Was about 3-4 days to reach MD and two more to get on delivery calendar for residential so less than 10-days including weekends.

Dave

Edited by Travellingbears, 24 September 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#8 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:42 AM

My PW14 shipped back in Feb 2020 to Maryland was $275 for crate and $600 for drop-ship from PW to my door. Purchase was handled thru OPT. Delivery logistics from factory pickup thru Pilot Freight to local MD depot and then by lift-gate truck for last 40-miles to my door. Shipping weight at 225-lbs on crate. Sounds like international $$ add-on. Was about 3-4 days to reach MD and two more to get on delivery calendar for residential so less than 10-days including weekends.

Dave

I guess I'm a bit further than Maryland (Nanaimo, BC - close to the border). Time wise I'm at 9 days now - was supposed to be delivered 2 days ago - but even I wasn't surprised that didn't happen. Not one update from Pilot shipping in all that time - thats disappointing?? If I don't get anymore additional charges I'd be happy.

#9 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

I just bought a bunch of tiny shims from a guy in BC. They took 9 days to get here. I think that the virus is doing something to things getting shipped across the border. I'm surprised by the 200 dollar crate, they wanted 500 from me plus shipping! HMM. 

Rgrds-Ross

#10 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

I just bought a bunch of tiny shims from a guy in BC. They took 9 days to get here. I think that the virus is doing something to things getting shipped across the border. I'm surprised by the 200 dollar crate, they wanted 500 from me plus shipping! HMM. 

Rgrds-Ross

I agree with the COVID mess. Yeah, $500 vs $200 seems to be way out of whack? I also got some shims from the same guy - haven't used any of them yet - but my cat loves them :)

#11 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:15 PM

generalT001

I got my pilot freight tracking number from OPT (had to ask for it) and my sales guy at OPT got from his PW contact. I then logged into pilot freight site to monitor progress of my shipment. When it got to their local MD on a Thursday evening and I didn’t get call for scheduling on Friday, I made a point over that weekend to look up the depot’s main number and called with my tracking number the following Monday. In my experience ‘nothing’ was initiated by commercial courier. They apparently had one residential truck per week (Tuesday) to my geographic area (zip code) from the MD depot. I got crate on Tuesday vs waiting extra week so it was good that I called. They had wrong phone # entered for contact on my paperwork too (so lucky that I called). So if you have your tracking number they have decent status reporting. I hope it’s not still waiting on customs release or similar catch-22. Good luck!

Dave

#12 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:19 PM

generalT001

I got my pilot freight tracking number from OPT (had to ask for it) and my sales guy at OPT got from his PW contact. I then logged into pilot freight site to monitor progress of my shipment. When it got to their local MD on a Thursday evening and I didn’t get call for scheduling on Friday, I made a point over that weekend to look up the depot’s main number and called with my tracking number the following Monday. In my experience ‘nothing’ was initiated by commercial courier. They apparently had one residential truck per week (Tuesday) to my geographic area (zip code) from the MD depot. I got crate on Tuesday vs waiting extra week so it was good that I called. They had wrong phone # entered for contact on my paperwork too (so lucky that I called). So if you have your tracking number they have decent status reporting. I hope it’s not still waiting on customs release or similar catch-22. Good luck!

Dave

I've had the tracking number since the beginning (like you I had to get a hold of OPT IOT get it. Pilot just simply does not update the info on tracking - at all! I've been calling each day for an update - supposedly it will be delivered tomorrow - not holding my breath :) No one has called me here to set up delivery - so that info is about as useful as vaporware at the moment.

#13 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:48 PM

I've had the tracking number since the beginning (like you I had to get a hold of OPT IOT get it. Pilot just simply does not update the info on tracking - at all! I've been calling each day for an update - supposedly it will be delivered tomorrow - not holding my breath :) No one has called me here to set up delivery - so that info is about as useful as vaporware at the moment.

If it's in and installed by next week you'll be in luck. We may get a few days for testing.

#14 ian408

ian408

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:33 PM

Shipping seems pretty steep but part of that could be, as you suggested, an allowance for GST and or HST. Maybe that has to be covered when the item is imported? 

#15 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:11 PM

So, just to close this up.

I now have the scope with me and was not charged anything other than the $1250 for shipping/duty and taxes - which is fair. So, I'm a happy camper/imager :)

If I had any complaint at all it would be that the shipper (Pilot Freight Services) never updated their tracking information on this package. If it were not for my incessant calls I am not sure I would ever have received any update until it just showed up on my doorstep. In the end I decided to travel via ferry from Nanaimo to Vancouver to pick it up from the 3rd party shipper, otherwide it would have been another 3 days before I would receive it - and some good weather is on the way so I did not want to waste that - but that is on me. Who knew...new scope and clear skies??, truly, it must be 2020!!

• rockstarbill and ian408 like this

#16 Travellingbears

Travellingbears

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:30 AM

Congrats on receiving your new scope! 

Dave

#17 ian408

ian408

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:30 PM

Congrats on the new telescope and glad it all worked out for you!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics