•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to park / store a loaded C8 at home?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Altos CA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

Hi all, the backend of my C8 Evo HD is getting heavy.   Starsense + Celestron lighted reticule 9 x 50 finder + motorfocus + 2 inch diagonal + heavier eye piece.   I am waiting for custom foam so i can make something to store this OTA correctly (even if I pull out Starsense and diagonal).    

Whats the best way to keep this OTA at home?   I would like it as assembled as possible so i dont have to spend time attaching and then calibrating accessories.   Because the CG is to the back, I cant just plunk it down on foam, it tends to lean / tip.  I am being extra cautious to make sure the accessories dont end up bearing any load - eg. accidentally putting pressure on the motor focus for example.

Simplest option is to park it on the AVX mount but I am worried about the continued ongoing stress on the mount itself.

Suggestions please!   Thanks for your help in advance.

Sanjeev

Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 23 September 2020 - 11:40 AM.

#2 audioengr

audioengr

Ranger 4

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:42 PM

The way I do mine is this (I have an Evolution mount):  I put another vixen dovetail bar on the OTA opposite the side that attaches to the fork-arm mount and mounted a handle on that.  These are available from High Point. 

To take it apart, I loosen the OTA clamp on the mount and slide the OTA out backwards, holding both of the handles.  I carry the OTA inside using the handle I installed.  Then I take the mount off  the tripod and carry it inside.  I don't remove any of the accessories.   I set both of these on the carpet.  I plug the charger into the mount.

Steve

#3 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

The way I do mine is this (I have an Evolution mount):  I put another vixen dovetail bar on the OTA opposite the side that attaches to the fork-arm mount and mounted a handle on that.  These are available from High Point. 

To take it apart, I loosen the OTA clamp on the mount and slide the OTA out backwards, holding both of the handles.  I carry the OTA inside using the handle I installed.  Then I take the mount off  the tripod and carry it inside.  I don't remove any of the accessories.   I set both of these on the carpet.  I plug the charger into the mount.

Steve

Thank you.   The issue in my case -- even with 2 handles and an additional dovetail, it will not rest evenly.   I think what i really need is a storage mount of some kind - if there is such a thing.   Something i can attach with the dovetail, and has a base big enough and firm enough to balance it.   Does not have to be fancy.

#4 Rkay12

Rkay12

Lift Off

• Loc: Albany, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:05 PM

I like the idea of adding the additional dovetail bar and attaching a handle. It wouldn't add that much more weight than it has now.  What I do is I slide my 9.25" off and using the handle and cradle it in my other arm.  I store it on the Lens Cap and have had no trouble with it sitting there on the carpet. All the attachments are still on it [star sense, focus motor, finder scope].    I also don't remove the mount  from the tripod and carry the tripod and mount as one unit into the house also.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200923_115309 (002)a.jpg

#5 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

thanks all,

This from Celestron's site -- seems to suggest while horizontal or vertical are fine, pointed up with mirror all the way back (clockwise) minimizes a couple of risks:

"Your scope can be stored either horizontally or vertically.

Here are some points to keep in mind that may dictate your storage preference:

Orienting the tube vertically upwards puts the least long-term stress on the focusing mechanism from the mirror’s weight.
Racking the mirror all the way to the back of the tube (clockwise or near-focus) puts the least stress on the baffle-spindle that supports the mirror's weight."

also read that especially with a motor focus (like i have) safest to not have the motor on top (chances of grease going down).

I am a newbie, trying to learn all this,

#6 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:47 PM

Any news on your mount repairs?

#7 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

Any news on your mount repairs?

Taking it in stride because I am having so much fun with the AVX.

What happened is this:

1.  I contacted dealer and Celestron (to understand warranty)

2.  Dealer offered immediate exchange

3.  Celestron offered a RMA

4.  I opted for an immediate exchange, and shipped mount to dealer

5.  Dealer was not able to exchange, and is waiting on RMA from Celestron for nearly a week.   Finally today i mentioned i was going to connect with Celestron again

6.  Just now, i got in touch with Celestron support, and they are going to send me a shipping label in the name of the dealer, which I can forward to the dealer

So the process just starts, roughly two weeks after I got the mount and noticed the issue.

In the meantime, I have learnt so much and having so much fun with the AVX.  Going back to an Alt Az will feel strange :)    Will keep that Alt Az as my convenience option for short sessions, and AVX for the longer sessions.

#8 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:17 PM

Oh my God....

#9 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:30 PM

Honestly, once I got my AVX, i stopped worrying about it.  I am eager to get back into the hobby after so many years, and the AVX represents learning opportunity with equatorial and all the tools / gadgets available 18 years later -- so been really enjoying it.  Just counting my blessing that in these challenging times, i am having fun.    My mount will come - whether it takes a 4 or 7 weeks with 2 step transport back.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics