•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Outreach program in Astronomy Reaches the World

astrophotography Meade observatory outreach SCT
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fxmodels

fxmodels

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

Hi guys... My name is Marc Dantonio and I wanted to introduce (a little late I guess) the SkyTour LiveStream Observatories.

SkyTour LiveStream East is based currently in Connecticut and SkyTour LiveStream West is based deep in the Sonoran desert in Arizona. STLS-W will see first light at the end of Ocotober 2020. These are fully remote public outreach observatories that take people on clear night journeys through the Deep Sky. The STLS-East is a Connecticut based observatory that currently has a  10" Meade LX200GPS and an f5 wide field refractor piggybacked. We relish gorgeous wide field and F6.3 views.

STLS-West which will see first light at the end of October 2020 will be a 3 pad building with one active telescope at first light in October 2020 with a second telescope coming soon after. The third pad will be for future development and perhaps a RASA telescope. The main instrument to start off first light will be a Meade LX600 system.

STLS-East is currently a partial remote site in that the dome needs to be manually opened and rotated but this will be replaced in a few weeks to a month with a ROR building that will make the building fully remote. STLS-West will be fully remote from the start AND will be a fully green observatory energy-wise. Solar will provide power and satellite will provide uplink for streaming  just like here in CT.

Its free to join and the full resolution imagery is fully available to anyone at any time on our companion group to STLS on Facebook called SkyTour LiveStream as well. We have 4400 subscribers on YouTube so far to date and our streams are highly interactive.

I put together a gallery of  just a few of our hundreds of images:

DSC07324 STLS Telescopes CropForCloudyNightsSite
Album: SkyTour LiveStream
10 images
0 comments

• Am33r and cmooney91 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Meade, observatory, outreach, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics