•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense Camera Position

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:32 PM

Does it matter which way the SS camera is sitting in the bracket? I'm wondering if I can rotate it down so the tall part of the camera is facing down towards the scope.

Thanks

#2 aa6ww

aa6ww

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

I made a small bracket so I can mount my Starsense camera on my telescope dovetail bracket. Then flipped the camera around so its still in the same upright position as if it was sitting on top of my scope. Ive seen photos mounted upside down and they seem to still work fine since no one seems to be complaining.

This is my under my APM-152ED

....Ralph

Attached Thumbnails

• CGEMII with Losmandy Tripod and APM152ED upper view.jpg

Edited by aa6ww, 23 September 2020 - 02:54 PM.

#3 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Ralph. The way you have it is essentially the camera setup I’m trying so it looks like it shouldn’t be a problem. It’s looks like it’s not dependent on camera orientation.

I’ll give it a go and if I get a bunch of erroneous readings I’ll know it may not work. 

Thanks again

#4 audioengr

audioengr

Ranger 4

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

High Point has a couple of ADM adapters for SS to dovetail bars.

• Mapkos13 likes this

#5 stevety

stevety

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Ramon ca

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

I mounted my starsense under scope and did not change anything on camera and it works fine 

• Mapkos13 likes this

#6 Woody218

Woody218

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bismarck, ND

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

Since the Starsense camera gets calibrated to the center of your telescope, it doesn't matter where on the scope it's mounted.

#7 Mapkos13

Mapkos13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:52 PM

Since the Starsense camera gets calibrated to the center of your telescope, it doesn't matter where on the scope it's mounted.

HI all let me try to be a little more clear about my question. I’m not concerned where on the scope it’s mounted. 

My question revolves around how the camera itself is oriented in its mount. Since you can rotate the camera 360 degrees in its mount, does it have to be setup a certain way or can I spin it in whatever direction I want it to be?

If you look at the SS camera, typically you always see the tall end of the camera pointing up. Can I rotate the camera so the tall end is pointing down or sideways for instance? 

#8 Maritime

Maritime

Vostok 1

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

Calibration is calibration is calibration.

Edited by Maritime, 24 September 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• Mapkos13 likes this

#9 Woody218

Woody218

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bismarck, ND

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:56 AM

HI all let me try to be a little more clear about my question. I’m not concerned where on the scope it’s mounted. 

My question revolves around how the camera itself is oriented in its mount. Since you can rotate the camera 360 degrees in its mount, does it have to be setup a certain way or can I spin it in whatever direction I want it to be?

If you look at the SS camera, typically you always see the tall end of the camera pointing up. Can I rotate the camera so the tall end is pointing down or sideways for instance? 

It doesn't matter if it's rotated in the mount...you can mount it rotated, upside down, however you want it positioned.

• StealthPrelude likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics