•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which size filters? (31 or 36mm) for ASI294MM and is a focal reducer/flattener required for SCT?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ryanha

ryanha

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:33 PM

I just put in an order for a ZWO ASI294MM with a Celestron OAG + ZWO174 guide camera.

(ngl, I'm a bit nauseous about how much $$ I just spent smile.gif)  

Anyway, I will be putting this beautiful equipment on a Celestron SCT 8".

My question is:

1.) should I go for 31 or 36mm filters & filter wheel (planning on doing 7 position)

2.) Is a focal reducer/flattener required or can I go with this setup to start with?

FWIW, I think I will likely eventually one day get another telescope (shorter FL and faster optics) so ideally I get filters that will carry over if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance!  And if you don't mind (even if you don't think it) tell me I made some good choices just now about spending this much money to get poor nights sleep smile.gif

--Ryan

Edited by ryanha, 23 September 2020 - 02:34 PM.

#2 glancey

glancey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

I have the ASI294 color that I use on a Celestron SCT 8. A focal reducer/flattener is a must-have for DSO imaging. I have both a Celestron .63 and a NightOwl .4. These reduce the imaging time by a significant factor. Hyperstar is another, more expensive option for fast imaging. The 294 works great for DSOs.

For planetary imaging, a barlow lens is needed to increase the focal ratio to match the 4.63um pixel size of the ASI294. A rough estimate of the correct ratio is 5 * pixel size. I have a Celestron 2.5X barlow that I use to acceptable effect for planetary imaging. I really should get either a 1.5X or 2X barlow for better imaging, or a camera with a smaller pixel size for planetary work. 

Sorry I can't help you with the filters.

Edited by glancey, 23 September 2020 - 02:58 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics