•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

High Quality Computer Monitor to Process Astroimages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WConde

WConde

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:16 PM

It is time for me to think about upgrading my computer monitor.  What about this option?  Are there others I should consider?
My budget max is $550 (willing to pay a bit more if the option is really worth it).

https://www.amazon.c...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

#2 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:57 AM

This is a good monitor (it was kind'a a pioneer when it first came out), but keep in mind what you're paying for here is the fact that it's hardware calibrated.

That is overall a good thing but in order to take advantage of a hardware calibrated display you need either a colorimeter or a color spectrophotometer like the ones from X-Rite or Datacolor, which will add another $170 (or more) to the price. Not sure if you already planned for this in your budget.

The fact that they say it is individually "factory calibrated" isn't specifically helpful - any calibration done is only going to be valid for about 6 to 8 weeks. After that the panel aging will throw off the calibration.

There are some monitors with built-in calibrators that periodically checks their own calibration (e.g. the Dell UP2720Q and Eizo CG's), but for all other you will need to manually re-perform calibration every couple of months.

Edited by deonb, 24 September 2020 - 06:07 AM.

#3 deonb

deonb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

The "ultimate" 27" monitor that's "almost" in your price range currently is probably the LG 27GN95B. Here it is for $682:

https://www.provanta...5b~7LGEL0NP.htm

The LG 27GN95B is essentially the business version of LG27GN950 (search for this model rather than the 95B version above if you want to look at reviews). The Business version just adds Energy Star Compliance and a 3 year warranty. It's also surprisingly cheaper than the consumer version, but has all the same features...

They were both just released and are highly popular so a bit hard to find right now. May have to wait a month or two after placing an order.

Anyway, the panels are 4K. Has hardware calibration (still need a colorimeter). dE of 1.9.  DisplayHDR 600.  So it has great color support but then also amazing refresh rates on top of it. It's mostly marketed to gamers but with those specs it's almost at the level of a Eizo ColorEdge CS2740 but at a 1/3rd of the price. I think the LG has a 14-bit LUT though where the Eizo has a 16-bit LUT. Yes, it won't beat an Eizo but it should be respectable.

It also has 98.7% of DCI-P3 coverage (for comparison, the Benq above is at 95% DCI-P3). For astro work, DCI-P3 is probably a better color space reference than Adobe RGB.  Adobe RGB covers more greens, DCI-P3 covers more reds and yellows.  DCI-P3 is also more commonly used for digital reproduction, where Adobe RGB is more focused on print.

And finally something else to consider - there is the EVE Spectrum 4K coming out in December for $669:

https://evedevices.c...ages/full-specs

It's a crowd-designed monitor based on the same panels as the LG 27GN950/27GN95B above. However, with some extra cool features like single-cable USB-C DP 100W. So for example you can connect a laptop to it and it becomes the display of the laptop, while at the same time charging the laptop. Neat.

Edited by deonb, 24 September 2020 - 06:10 AM.

#4 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

I really don't think a calibrated monitor is necessary for processing astro images. There are no skin tones or gray cards floating in space. The colors of DSO's are, pretty much, subjective. I use a plain old 32" 1080p TV.

Bruce

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics