•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ha or Full Spectrum?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast Pennsylvania (Bortle 5)

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

So I decided to take the plunge and mod my camera smile.gif

The question I am struggling with is: Full Spectrum or H-alpha? undecided.gif

I've read through the existing forums and responses are mixed.

My unique situation is as follows:

• The camera will be exclusively used for Astrophotography
  • I would like to image nebulae such as M42, North America, Heart & Soul, large galaxies such as M31, Milky Way and if possible the terrestrial planets
  • I have a couple of lenses - primarily a Rokinon 16mm and a Pentax 135mm which will be used
  • My camera is a Canon EOS Rebel T6
  • I also have a Celestron Nexstar 8SE, but i hardly get the scope out since I live in a moderately light polluted neighborhood (LED lights)

I am leaning towards an H-alpha conversion compared to a Full Spectrum since I do not want to spend extra in a UV/IR cut filter on top. 

I know the H-alpha mod works great for nebulae. How will it perform if I try to image M31 and the Milky Way?

Thanks in advance!

#2 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Ha mod works for everything and would be your best bet.

However the LPF1 and LPF2 filters are hard to separate in a Canon T6, you can easily damage the LPF1.

So you will most likely have to remove both and add a replacement UV/IR cut glass.

You can also do a full spectrum mod and remove both filters but you will need to use external IR/UV cut filter which I think is not the best idea if you use lenses.

• hdoraisamy likes this

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:29 PM

Moving to DSLR

#4 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:41 PM

Ha mod works for everything and would be your best bet.

However the LPF1 and LPF2 filters are hard to separate in a Canon T6, you can easily damage the LPF1.

So you will most likely have to remove both and add a replacement UV/IR cut glass.

You can also do a full spectrum mod and remove both filters but you will need to use external IR/UV cut filter which I think is not the best idea if you use lenses.

I plan to get this done professionally as a service. It is good to hear that H-alpha is good for everything. Thank you!

#5 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

Do you plan on doing IR photography more than just a few "I'm kinda interested in playing around with this" type of moments? Probably not. Do h-alpha mods, save yourself the annoyance and trouble/cost of having to figure out how to integrate a UV/IR Cut filter into your imaging train. 

For the vast vast vast majority of astrophotographers a full spectrum mod makes no sense and only makes the imaging portion of astrophotography a bigger PITA. 

• hdoraisamy likes this

#6 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

I plan to get this done professionally as a service. It is good to hear that H-alpha is good for everything. Thank you!

Well, if you're not planning to modify your camera yourself, then just go for H-alpha mod. I really doubt you will ever think about a full spectrum mod.

• hdoraisamy likes this

#7 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:52 PM

Do you plan on doing IR photography more than just a few "I'm kinda interested in playing around with this" type of moments? Probably not. Do h-alpha mods, save yourself the annoyance and trouble/cost of having to figure out how to integrate a UV/IR Cut filter into your imaging train. 

For the vast vast vast majority of astrophotographers a full spectrum mod makes no sense and only makes the imaging portion of astrophotography a bigger PITA. 

Thanks! This makes sense to me too.

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:53 PM

If you don't know why you'd need a "full spectrum" mod, you don't need it, and should get Ha instead.  The right choice for 99+% of the people here.

Ha is simply full spectrum with the absolutely required UV-IR cut already in there.

There are exceptions, but they know who they are.

• hdoraisamy likes this

#9 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:59 PM

If you don't know why you'd need a "full spectrum" mod, you don't need it, and should get Ha instead.  The right choice for 99+% of the people here.

Ha is simply full spectrum with the absolutely required UV-IR cut already in there.

There are exceptions, but they know who they are.

Thank you! The term "Full spectrum" makes it misleading I guess :) I am glad I asked

• bobzeq25 likes this

#10 awong101

awong101

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:29 PM

I just recently HA modified my own camera (no interest in any other form of photography, no need for day time use). I couldn't be happier with it.

Edited by awong101, 23 September 2020 - 05:30 PM.

• hdoraisamy likes this

#11 wsbrown

wsbrown

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:02 PM

I wasnt initially interested in IR when I got my first full spectrum camera. Later on, I was glad I did, it is a unique and rewarding form of photography.

Attached Thumbnails

• EE79C99B-A2EE-4946-AF75-0F18F802D82A.jpeg

• nofxrx, luvsungriter and nateman_doo like this

#12 hdoraisamy

hdoraisamy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:39 AM

I wasnt initially interested in IR when I got my first full spectrum camera. Later on, I was glad I did, it is a unique and rewarding form of photography.

That looks beautiful!

#13 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Florida

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

I agree with everyone so far, if you have an interest in daytime IR imaging, like the wonderful image posted by wsbrown, go Full Spectrum.

There is zero benefit using a FSM for astro when you add the IR block needed to control IR star bloat. 
I love shooting IR so will always have an FSM around to scratch that itch, but it is never my primary camera; those are always "Ha" astro modified types.

Cheers!

• hdoraisamy likes this

#14 endlessky

endlessky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Padova, Italy

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:31 PM

As stated above, H-alpha mod is all you need for astrophotography. Full spectrum is pretty much useless (for astro) and it would only be useful if you plan to play with IR daytime imaging.

• hdoraisamy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics