•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Latest Science Fiction Books

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StarTrooper

StarTrooper

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Piedmont of North Carolina

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

Have not read any thought provoking Space or Interstellar Science Fiction book in years. Who are the modern authors on Space Travel nowadays and interesting insightful reads on this subject?

#2 Krzysztof z bagien

Krzysztof z bagien

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:28 PM

There's "The Expanse" by James S. A. Corey, but I'm sure everybody heard about that one already smile.gif

I also recommend pretty much everything written by John Scalzi - "Old Man's War", "The Collapsing Empire" series etc., you can't go wrong with this guy; not all that deep, but really enjoyable. Oh, also "Redshirts", that one is a true gem!

Edit - I forgot about "Children of Time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky - great science fiction, with emphasis on science. I also really enjoyed his "Shadows of the Apt" series, it's fantasy not s-f though.

And if you want something really-really thought provoking - it's not actually new, but "Fiasco" by Stanisław Lem is a great read.

Edited by Krzysztof z bagien, 23 September 2020 - 04:40 PM.

#3 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

#1 on my current list of e-books is Chris Hechtl with Christopher Nuttall a close second. It drops a little to Ryk Brown, Vaughn Heppner, and C. J. Carella.

However my favorite author, now deceased, of the last 2 decades is Iain M. Banks, the inventor of the phrase out-of-context problem and his stories of a far future galactic civilization called The Culture. If you have not read any of his SF books (he also wrote regular fiction) you need to at least put his works on your bucket list. Elon Musk named three of his autonomous drone ships after AI ships in Banks's novel of The Culture, The Player of Games. The Culture has been described as a post-scarcity anarchist utopia.

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:17 PM

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky is one of the best science fiction novels I've read in recent year. I'll "second" that one, and The Expanse.

Semiosis by Sue Burke is another recent novel that employs and then creatively stretches known science. 

#5 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:24 AM

And if you want something really-really thought provoking - it's not actually new, but "Fiasco" by Stanisław Lem is a great read.

If you are not familiar with work of S. Lem, I highly recommend Eden (1959) and The Invincible (1964). It's not the latest, but in my opinion, one of the best works in science fiction.

Sorry, but can't comment on modern works.

• StarTrooper likes this

#6 eps0mu0

eps0mu0

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:20 AM

Definitely give the Stanislaw Lem novels a try... although they may not be what you are expecting. The English version of ‘The Invincible’ is a translation from a German translation from the original Polish. 

For the original poster... if you want sweeping interstellar SF, try Stephen Baxter’s ‘Ring’ or ‘Manifold Space’.

#7 zleonis

zleonis

Ranger 4

• Loc: Richmond, VA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

I haven't read science fiction extensively, but I was engrossed by Liu Cixin's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy. It is deeply strange at times, but compelling.

#8 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

I haven't read science fiction extensively, but I was engrossed by Liu Cixin's Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy. It is deeply strange at times, but compelling.

That's on my TBR list. Gets a lot of discussion on a science fiction group on Facebook I belong to.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics