•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issue maintaining connection to iPolar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LoweG

LoweG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

Hi all, I have recently received an iOptron GEM45 with built in iPolar. So far so good the mount tracks well and slews to targets accurately.

However, I’m having an issue maintaining a connection to the iPolar itself. The iPolar software connects and displays a preview but stops updating after about 5-20 seconds. I’ve been connecting to the camera by an externally powered usb hub. All three Windows PCs I’ve tried all had the same problem with maintaining a connection to the iPolar camera.

https://youtu.be/dxz4LTQEPPQ

The linked video displays the exact problem I’m experiencing. Connects to the iPolar and updates the preview for 20 seconds and suddenly stops. Likewise Sharpcap software also displays and updates a preview but only for a few seconds. Relaunching the iPolar software can sometimes reestablish a connection to the camera but still has a problem with suddenly stopping. Sometimes it cannot reestablish a connection, it will prompt the “Camera failed to connect” message. Likewise again Sharpcap exhibits the same behaviour but returns a detailed error on not being able to start the camera in any mode, I've attached this.

All 3 PCs have the following:

• All up to date the .NET Framework 4.8 or later
  • Camera privacy setting has been checked to allow desktop apps to use the camera
  • Turned off USB selective suspend setting

I’m not sure what else to do, is the camera faulty? I’m hoping someone here has maybe experienced the same or similar problems and may be able to help. Any help will be very much appreciated.

I’ve also got in touch with iOptron support and I’m waiting on a reply.

Also I'm new here I hope I posted this in the right sub forum.

Attached Thumbnails

• SharpCap Error.PNG

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

Can you eliminate the hub to at least check for a disconnection? (Hubs have been the source of many headaches...possibly yours also, possibly not.) It is one thing that can be eliminated as a source of the problem.

EDIT: The problem occurs in two well-established programs. So I believe the problem is in the computer or attached gear/cabling.

Please keep us informed when you find a solution. Others may have the same problem in the future.

Edited by Dynan, 23 September 2020 - 04:47 PM.

#3 LoweG

LoweG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Dynan.

Without the powered usb hub I cannot get the iPolar software to connect to the camera.

Connecting directly to the iPolar from a PC USB port:

• PC 1 (Desktop) - refuses to acknowledge the camera in any usb port without the USB hub, doesn't even report it as unrecognised.
  • PC 2 (Win 7 Laptop) - does regonise iPolar camera in some ports but not others. When it is recognised the iPolar software always fails to connect to camera.
  • PC 3 (Win 10 Laptop) - does regonise iPolar camera in some ports but not others. When it is recognised the iPolar software most of the time fails to connect. However, iPolar software has connected once, but disconnected shortly after.

#4 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:59 PM

Something wrong with your iPolar camera, I think; contact iOptron support.   Could possibly be something wrong with your USB cable or the USB cabling inside the mount.

• Dynan likes this

#5 LoweG

LoweG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

I have tried the supplied cable and a couple of other USB A to USB B they made no difference.

I have also disassembled the iPolar from the mount head based on the information in the linked PDF below. The wires were a little tighter than they appeared in the manual but it all seems fine. Checked the wires and connections with a multimeter all looked good.

http://www.ioptron.c...ation_GEM45.pdf

I've sent an email to IOptron support earlier this week, just waiting to hear back. I'll make sure to update this thread when they do.

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Skylab

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:27 PM

Seriously inconsistent. An adage from my Electrical & Instrumentation Technician employment days:

"If it isn't broke, you can't fix it." (If it doesn't STAY broke, hard to diagnose.)

I am about to reconstruct the wiring in my CEM60. The previous owner removed all of it. After I got through the replacement process, I may have something more to add. I DID run across this, that may help you diagnose mount wiring, if it's the problem.

http://www.ioptron.c...leMGR_Panel.pdf

I have no idea if the CEM45 has similar wiring.

EDIT: Disregard the link. You were one step ahead of me. As Michael says above...Time to contact iOptron.

Edited by Dynan, 23 September 2020 - 06:29 PM.

• LoweG likes this

#7 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:30 PM

Normally the iPolar camera is not technically demanding at all.  It's a webcam.  Lots of software recognizes it, even Microsoft Camera.

• Dynan likes this

#8 LoweG

LoweG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:40 PM

Normally the iPolar camera is not technically demanding at all.  It's a webcam.  Lots of software recognizes it, even Microsoft Camera.

That's exactly what I thought and to complicate matters it does work but only from a powered usb hub and only for a maximum of 20 or so seconds. The more I look into this problem and the more troubleshooting I do the more I think its a problem with the camera itself.

• Michael Covington and Dynan like this

#9 LoweG

LoweG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:54 PM

Just an update: iOptron have been in contact with me. We've had a lot of emails back forth trying diagnose and troubleshoot the problem. Unforunately nothing has resolved the issue so iOptron are arranging for a replacement camera to be sent. 

• Michael Covington likes this

#10 LoweG

LoweG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:30 AM

I've just received a replacement iPolar camera and the issue has now been resolved. I can maintain connection to the camera permanently even without a powered usb hub.

Now to wait for a clear night to actually use it!

• Michael Covington and Dynan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics