•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clean a Meade HD-60?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbpb28314

sbpb28314

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Coast, CA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:16 PM

I bought a Meade HD-60 25mm off CN and realize that an inner lens surface has some sort of dirt streaks. Visible brown smears that mildly impact views. I've checked the top surface as well as the very bottom surface and that is not where these marks are. They must be inside somewhere. At this point, I won't use the eyepiece much if at all unless I can clean it. The streaks are just too annoying.

I cannot figure out how to unscrew any portion of the eyepiece. I know how to take your average plossl apart but this is quite different construction. It has one of those movable/telescoping eyeguards but there seems to be no way to separate the bottom metal portion of the eyepiece from the rest of it.

Anyone have any experience taking one of these apart? Thanks for any help!

Edited by sbpb28314, 23 September 2020 - 09:17 PM.

#2 No N in collimation

No N in collimation

Lift Off

Posted 23 September 2020 - 11:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Any chance the seller will take it back? Was it advertised as being in that condition?

#3 sbpb28314

sbpb28314

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Coast, CA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. Any chance the seller will take it back? Was it advertised as being in that condition?

Seller might not have noticed if they never used it on the moon or a blank piece of daytime sky. I've had it long enough I wouldn't try to engage the seller. Mostly I just hope for some advice here on how to take it apart. The smears will kind of ruin the view for me now that I'm aware of them. The worst I can do is ruin it for real by trying to clean it! I consider it an education worth the cost. smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics