Something strange. Could be a user error or I stumbled onto some useful finding.
been doing a bunch of testing for go to’s with these conditions:
1. Precise polar alignment to start, using polemaster
2. Then star sense auto - via controller, skyportal or CPWI
3. For handset I tried entering nearest city. For skyportal - on one iPad - GPS, on another nearest city. on computer, lat / long, computer time. Using WiFi dongle to computer
4. Skyportal asks me to calibrate SS, handset does not ask (?). Perhaps handset is remembering but I had removed between sessions, so could be slight difference. CPWI, calibrate SS with one star (option when starting align)
5. Do SS auto from handset, skyportal or CPWI. No more alignment stars, no sync.
results? Systematically, CPWI alignments are putting objects dead center or very close (a few clicks on motor at speed 4 or 5) of a 9 mm or 20 mm eyepiece. Handset seems to miss the 20 mm nearly - hit or miss within the FoV, narrowly missed Saturn in 20 mm FoV. Skyportal does in between - finds it in 20 mm but not close.
how can this be? In the case of the handset, it could be its missing a prompt for calibrating SS and errors are adding up. No such explanation for skyportal on iPad.
i have 3 observations each on handset, skyportal and 5 on CPWI.
could be user error, but wonder if CPWI is just a stronger / more precise approach. I am using latest stable firmware on all devices.
I also tried reset alignment on handset - did not get prompt to calibrate SS and it did not make a difference in accuracy, perhaps I had to go somewhere else in the menu. But definitely did that on skyportal iPad.
Anybody else compare the 3 different ways?
Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 24 September 2020 - 08:28 AM.