•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX200 ACF pier adapter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

Just got the go-ahead to start looking at a pier installation for our club Meade LX200 ACF 14".  Unfortunately pier construction has to start real soon, adapter plate can wait a bit.  We're thinking of an 8" poured concrete pier, what is the 'usual' hardware that has to be embedded in the 'crete?

It's just going to be the fork mount, visual only.  Unless someone wants to donate a GEM that can hold that thing...

#2 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:25 PM

You'll need at least 3 anchor bolts to go into the pier. Probably at least 5/8 inch stainless steel. Dan's Pier Plates  carries the set. But in seeing the size of the scope maybe a 12 inch pier may be be better choice. 

#3 Randal1234

Randal1234

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:32 AM

I have a Meade LX 200 14" and I went with a 12 sono - tube pier.  I think this is the best choice.  A GEM is not required for Visual.

#4 lakeorion

lakeorion

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake Orion MI

Posted 26 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

Agree, no GEM needed, but of course someone in the club brought it up to complicate the enclosure.  It's fine to bring things up, but without the $,$$$ for a suitable GEM, the fork it's on is all that's in the club plan.  Looks like the enclosure will be a roll off cabinet, all on a deck with the 17½" Dob.  Going to be a killer setup.

Home Depot has 2' x 5/8" stainless threaded rod and 12" sonotube (equivalent) - whole kit for under $50.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics