•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Frustrated Trying to Buy A Dome (a.k.a. How Do I Get Someone To Take My $20k?)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:50 PM

I’ve been trying to buy a dome, automation, pier, etc. but I can’t get any response from a large, west-coast telescope dealer. I’ve tried calling, I either can’t get through and get dropped into voicemail, or I get through but the two experts are busy and I’m assured they will get back to me, but never do. I’ve tried chat, but no one ever answers. I’ve tried emailing, with no reply.

What does a guy have to do to drop a bunch of money? You’d think that a business would be interested, but I must be too small of a fish for them.

• FRANKVSTAR likes this

#2 ssagerian

ssagerian

Maker Uranographer

• Loc: Chicago Suburbs, USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

Bill

How handy are you? $20K can buy a lot of concrete,building materials, contractor help.

• Older Padawan likes this

#3 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:19 PM

Oh, that’s just for the dome and miscellaneous things I need to fully automate it. The building is a separate cost. And my wife’s family are builders, so that’s covered. You can see the plans in this thread.

Currently, the framer will start in November. The footings and foundation are done:

IMG_0655.jpg

• ssagerian and bobzeq25 like this

#4 hdbaron

hdbaron

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Flank Mauna Loa, Hawaii

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:37 PM

https://www.cloudyni...-cylinder-base/

#5 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 24 September 2020 - 03:01 PM

I’ve been trying to buy a dome, automation, pier, etc. but I can’t get any response from a large, west-coast telescope dealer. I’ve tried calling, I either can’t get through and get dropped into voicemail, or I get through but the two experts are busy and I’m assured they will get back to me, but never do. I’ve tried chat, but no one ever answers. I’ve tried emailing, with no reply.

What does a guy have to do to drop a bunch of money? You’d think that a business would be interested, but I must be too small of a fish for them.

The West Coast is shut down due to covid-19, that is the story I received when I put down a large order for a scope & mount. All was fine until my funds were transferred from my bank to theirs. that process took only seconds.  Now the entire order is on back order for 4 to 6 weeks and its been over 11 weeks and they want do a refund or replacement order. Seems China and Mexico, where everything is built for us in the good old USA, since we don't know how to build anything, is the problem. It is going at a snailes pace or not at all.

Good luck >>

#6 DeanS

DeanS

Aurora

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:10 PM

Roll offs do have their own advantages, and cost less to build.  Have you considered one?

#7 astrohamp

astrohamp

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:10 PM

There is a Pier Tech type 5 station up for grabs although a ROR plans set can be had as well if you have the skills or contractors.

#8 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:28 AM

Thanks to all for your suggestions, but I’ve already considered my options, including a ROR, and have decided on a dome for several reasons:

1. Height: the observatory is ~35 feet above the ground. I did not want to roll off the roof so high in the air
  2. Wind: I want protection from the wind
  3. Light: my neighbors leave their lights on at night (Bortle upper-4/lower 5), and yes, a ROR would shadow ground lights, but I wanted more
  4. Design: it’s already been designed and permitted 
  5. Framers: we’re using our regular framers (our family builds houses during the day), so the closer to regular framing is better, and putting up a 12’x12’ box in the sky is as simple as it gets
  6. Family: the most important thing of all: my wife has approved this design (she actually designed on her architecture program), and she has approved the spend (who am I to say no?)

Here’s the design, it consists of a breezeway/sunroom on the first floor from the kitchen, where the existing side door is. This room also has a spiral staircase to the second floor. The rest of the ground floor is a 3 car garage, a work area and a hoist to the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor has a walkway (open to the sunroom below) from the master suite to the warm room, and the warm room with lots of storage, desk, etc.. the 3rd floor is the 12x12 observatory.

Here is the plan:

Attached File  85x11Final Front Entry Garage_06052020.pdf   376.69KB   87 downloads

• mikerepp and kathyastro like this

#9 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

I have a RoR but I must say, those plans look super!

#10 MJB87

MJB87

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

I hear ya.  I got very frustrated trying to order a dome and getting people to even respond to my inquiries.  Finally reached someone at Explora-Dome and placed an order there. Meanwhile, I have been trying to order another Omega Pier from BYO. BYO is often in the field building great ROR observatories, so I was prepared to be patient. But it has been three months now and there has been complete radio silence despite numerous emails and phone calls.

Just to be clear, there are also real gems also in this area. I can't speak highly enough of Wayne at Starlight Instruments or Martin at Company Seven. George at Astro-Physics, as we have come to expect, has been extremely helpful and generous. So it is really a mixed bag.

MJB

#11 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Messenger

• Loc: Texas

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:32 PM

Have you tried Ash Dome? They're in Illinois, so maybe not as affected as the West Coast folks.

• Benschop likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics