•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Got my NexStar 8 se today where to Store in or out?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wmgeorge

wmgeorge

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:04 PM

I had been storing the 130 DX on my 4 season enclosed porch outside room. I then picked it up and took outside when using. This SE is a lot more heavy.  So do folks with the same issue just take off the optic tube and store inside and cover the tripod and arm with a heavy canvas or whatever and leave outside?  I am sure they make a cover also. 

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

I always store my optical tube in the house.  The GEM mount in the garage.

• ShaulaB and wmgeorge like this

#3 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

Some people have had luck with the astronomy specific all weather covers, but the only thing I leave outside is my all aluminum portable pier.

Temperature swings and humidity have never seemed like a good match for precision equipment of any kind.

Even the 68 lb GPS 11 and its 27 lb tripod live indoors. It's a pain bringing it outside, and I will work out a portable or permanent pier after I move, to allow easier setup.

I have recently gotten a manfrotto 114 Dolly with 130 lb capacity pursuant to a cloudy nights post, and, giving my new dry Arizona location, I may leave the tripod and base set up in the garage. The Manfrotto has the same published capacity as the large JMI, and shows up used on eBay, etc

Perhaps it's because of the comparison to the 11, but I treat my nexstar 5/8 mount with a Meade 8 OTA as a grab and go, mounting it to the pier with a combination of a starizona landing pad and a Baader Nexstar to original vixen GP pattern cast adapter that pops onto the aluminum pier or surveyor's tripod.

Having the aluminum pier in the yard year round, for the last 15 years, has really opened up quick observing session possibilities.

That may be just enough to make partial outdoor storage tolerable for you. And you only have one trip for the base and one for the OTA, unless, as I do, you bring it out in one trip.

I am working on a method to remove the GPS11 OTA from the base, but cannot predict what success I will have. In any event, that project is 6 months off.

It will, at least, break the trip down into three more manageable parts rather than two awful ones

I definitely could see leaving a removable OTA mount in the garage, but I would not do this in a humid area where the electronics are at risk from temperature swing condensation, even inside the base.

I have almost always lived in such a high humidity, temperature swing area, on Long Island in New York. Living in arizona, I will also be able to consider leaving the GPS 11 tripod out most of the time, but still anticipate some corrosion.

Edited by markb, 24 September 2020 - 06:37 PM.

#4 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

I had been storing the 130 DX on my 4 season enclosed porch outside room. I then picked it up and took outside when using. This SE is a lot more heavy.  So do folks with the same issue just take off the optic tube and store inside and cover the tripod and arm with a heavy canvas or whatever and leave outside?  I am sure they make a cover also. 

Hello George,

This is going to go in both directions. I rarely leave mine out and have to disasemble the rig. I store it inside my home.  but when I do, this is at a Weekend Star party, I cover it with a Telegizmo 365 cover. But If you have a a dry place like a garage  or a shed leaving it all together that would be great especially if you can attach a set of jimi wheels to the tripod  and can just role it out for use and back again when you are done. There are some here on CN that leave their stuff out for extended periods and seem to do well. Not me. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 24 September 2020 - 06:41 PM.

#5 wmgeorge

wmgeorge

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:45 PM

Good thoughts and suggestions. Thank you. My garage is my shop, heated in the winter and AC in the summer when needed, I am in Iowa USA. My shop has my CNC machine and laser engraver plus my Intel NUC which runs all of that.  So I guess storing the controller,  arm and tripod should not be an issue. I will as suggested take the tube in the house just because. 

#6 Migwan

Migwan

Vanguard

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:57 PM

Store my SCT in an unheated pole barn which helps with acclimation.  I DIYed a three wheeled trolley and just pull it out.  Maybe you can come up with something so you don't have to carry it across the yard.  

Would never leave outside, even with a cover.   If you have space in the shop, maybe leave it on a trolley in there with a cover. 

jd

#7 Stargezzer

Stargezzer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Catalina Mountains AZ

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

I have my 8se on a AVX mount which makes it even heavier but I have no problem lifting it in and out of the house setup. I don't have to move it very far to my patio which helps since I am 70. I have always stored my gear in the house and have avoided any problems with any of my scopes for many years. 

• wmgeorge likes this

#8 wmgeorge

wmgeorge

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:46 AM

Stargezzer thanks for the post. I just turned 77 and maybe I will just leave the whole works on that heated and cooled 4 seasons porch.  I just got one of those rechargeable Lithium  battery packs so I don't need to run a cord.  I am thinking of 3D printing a battery pack holder.

#9 BPoletti

BPoletti

Explorer 1

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:26 PM

wngeorge,

Not sure where you live.  

My age also starts with a 7.  I store my scope in the garage during the summer, but will move inside a heated home during the colder months.  I don't think it's good for computer parts to get stored where it's very cold.  Operating the system in the cold is different since components will warm up with even light use.  

I power my 8SE with a bevy (8) 1.5v AA lithium rechargeable batteries in the base.  Got them along with a couple of chargers from Amazon cheap.  I also use a 12v lithium rechargeable "jump start" battery for the AstroZap controller and strap.  I run the strap on high because...  Well, why not?    Both power supplies will easily hold up for extended viewing sessions.  

The jump start battery could also run the scope.  I used to run it that way before I got the 1.5v AA batteries.  It just takes a dual plug cigar lighter adapter and a compatible power cord for the 8SE.  

#10 Orion68

Orion68

Messenger

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:07 PM

All my scopes go inside the house after a session, except the Nexstar11 GPS, which stays in my semi cooled garage over the summer. Our winters are rainy and damp so the the NS11 comes in the house and stays there all winter.

If you keep a scope in the garage, it may be wise to not use plastic or garbage bag as a cover. Instead, cover it with a bedsheet or something else that breathes. This will keep moisture from accumulating under the cover.

Good luck.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics