•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for PHD2 starting point for new AP1100

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

I did my requisite search on CN and couldn't find an answer.   Would somebody with an AP1100 or AP?  that uses PHD2 please give me some PHD2 numbers that are working for you (for a starting point).   Which algorithms such as  Hysterisis, Resist switch, aggressiveness, min move, etc.   I can take a best guess but the new FSQ and AP1100 already have my head smoking from so much new material to learn.

Thanks imawake.gif

#2 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:16 PM

I'd start with the default values and see what that gets you.  With the short focal length on the FSQ it should work well enough to get you going.  You can always fine tune things if you see problems in the subs - my guess is they'll look great.  The guiding algorithms to use in PHD are RA - Hysteresis, Dec - Lowpass2

If you're imaging with an FSQ-106 at 530mm (or shorter using a reducer) my suggestion is to use APCC Pro-APPM create a pointing model and forget about guiding.  I have the same telescope on a 2017 Mach1 that I set up nearly every time I image.  I set up during the day placing the tripod legs in the spots marked on the paver stones so it's very close to aligned - polar align as soon as it gets dark enough  then run a pointing model - it's much simpler to do than write about it.  Everything will be ready in plenty of time to get you imaging at astronomical dark.  I take 2 minute unguided exposures with my FSQ-Nikon and night after night the stars are like pinpoints.

Based on what I know about the performance of the 1100 it should easily outperform my Mach1.  Maybe if you're taking sub exposures of 20-30 minutes you may need to guide.  But even then it would be advantageous to create a pointing model before imaging.  It will take a huge amount of work off the guider and picking the "optimal" setting for PHD won't be all that important.

Edited by AgilityGuy, 24 September 2020 - 09:23 PM.

#3 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

What version of the AP 1100 is it, does it have encoders?

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:43 PM

Use the defaults.  Then run guiding assistant, and get refinements.

I like the predictive algorithm for RA, it's a very decent substitute for PEC.

Edited by bobzeq25, 25 September 2020 - 10:22 AM.

• R Botero likes this

#5 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:50 PM

Use the defaults.  Then run guiding assistant, and get refinements.

I like the predictive algorithm for DEC, it's a very decent substitute for PEC.

He said new AP1100. That comes from the factory with an amazing PEC curve programmed by Astro-Physics and a free copy of PEMPro to maintain that over time. 

I use Hysteresis in the RA axis with the Hysteresis value set to 0. Declination I use Lowpass2. Aggressiveness and MinMo are really site dependent, but you can start with the defaults and lower over time. I used my AP1100 without the encoders and with PEC for a long time, and these values largely persisted after the encoders; I just changed the exposure time to be twice as long so the mount would just get a gentle nudge.

Bob: I think you meant RA for PPEC. There is no PE in DEC. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 thekubiaks

thekubiaks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:33 AM

What version of the AP 1100 is it, does it have encoders?

Thank you all for the replies, I'm running the FSQ at 530mm,  I do not have the encoders, and, this is the latest unit to be shipped from AP this year (CP4).   I'll have give the default PHD2 settings a try.  

Cheers

#7 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:04 AM

I did my requisite search on CN and couldn't find an answer.   Would somebody with an AP1100 or AP?  that uses PHD2 please give me some PHD2 numbers that are working for you (for a starting point).   Which algorithms such as  Hysterisis, Resist switch, aggressiveness, min move, etc.   I can take a best guess but the new FSQ and AP1100 already have my head smoking from so much new material to learn.

Thanks imawake.gif

Join the AP-GTO group on groups.io, then you can get setting advice from the guys who made your mount. This topic is discussed frequently there.
  • thekubiaks likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics