•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA and framing and plate solving

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:00 PM

I can go to discord but it's so much easier in a real forum if someone knows....

Can someone explain how you are supposed to use NINA's framing wizard and plate solving together?  

I can make it work, but it seems ... awkward.   

Here's what I would do: 

1) Go to sky atlas (or stellarium) and select an object, let's say M8

2) Set for framing assistant -- it moves the RA/DEC there.  Good so far.   And in Framing wizard I can slew to the location (or from Atlas). 

BUT... that's a blind slew, and especially early in the evening it's not right and needs a plate solve, plus I almost always want to consider a different (manual) camera rotation.

So I need an image.  Can't take one here, I think.

3) Off to imaging, and take a snapshot.  Remember to click the save button.

4) BACK to framing assistant, change to File, plate solve and the image appears annotated (fairly nicely).  Let's assume it finds where I am but I'm significantly off.

I need to sync the scope and slew back and try again.  If I just pushed this into the Sequence and set the options it would sync and slew until it was aligned.

But if I do that, there's no option to frame, e.g. change rotation based on what I see, reframe slightly (e.g. if I slew to M8 I might want to move a bit to the side to get Triffid). 

I can just move the framing frame and slew (which is not doing a sync I think?) and then back to imaging, then back to framing, load the saved image, plate solve... very tedious, when I know the sequence engine can do all that automagically.

Am I missing something? 

this is really easy if I trust the framing and just feed in a RA/DEC or an object.  The sequence program does a great job of locating the object, repeatedly taking images, plate solving, and repeating until it is right.

But if I want to participate -- check actual rotation, reframe slightly.  Not so much.

The best I've been able to do is just do the sequence, leave it as 1 shot at 1 second, and later ignore those light frames.  Once I'm happy I reset the sequence.

Is there a better way?  I want to just say "Find M8" and have it do all the plate solving and center in framing wizard, and I can fine tune from there.  All the features are there, I feel like I'm just missing a button somewhere to hit.

Am I?

Linwood

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:23 PM

I think "Cuiv, The Lazy Geek" has a YouTube video on it.  You will need to do a search.

https://www.youtube....X5rymeqrYt-Bb1g

• Linwood likes this

#3 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

I think "Cuiv, The Lazy Geek" has a YouTube video on it.  You will need to do a search.

https://www.youtube....X5rymeqrYt-Bb1g

Thank you thank you.  About 3 minutes into this one: 

https://www.youtube....h?v=fFSlW1JJq_A

He pointed out the obvious, I was looking for imaging under framing assistant, but the place is a plate solving button I had missed under imaging that lets me slew and sync.  I don't know if it lets me see framing as it's cloudy outside, but I can see it is a much more direct path than what I was doing.

• Jim Waters, happylimpet and bobzeq25 like this

#4 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:07 AM

I recently figured this out myself - in the framing wizard under image source choose Nasa sky survey (or one of the other online services) type in the name of what you want in the Search area and load your image. Make sure your camera parameters are correct you can the move the framing rectangle around what you want (and rotate it as well). You can then either add to the sequence or replace the sequence with that when you go to your sequence all the info is already loaded and as long as you have "manual rotator" connected it will slew , plate solve and then tell you how much you need to rotate your camera (I loosen my field flattener compression ring rotate the desired amount and re tighten) until you are spot on then it will start.

• Linwood likes this

#5 Linwood

Linwood

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:35 AM

I recently figured this out myself - in the framing wizard under image source choose Nasa sky survey (or one of the other online services) type in the name of what you want in the Search area and load your image. Make sure your camera parameters are correct you can the move the framing rectangle around what you want (and rotate it as well). You can then either add to the sequence or replace the sequence with that when you go to your sequence all the info is already loaded and as long as you have "manual rotator" connected it will slew , plate solve and then tell you how much you need to rotate your camera (I loosen my field flattener compression ring rotate the desired amount and re tighten) until you are spot on then it will start.

I think you've given me another key -- I never noticed the "manual rotator".  I'll have to try that next time out.  That may be the missing key. 

I think the other thing I keep trying to do, and maybe that's why this is difficult, is to use MY image to frame against.  While it can (since it annotates it nicely), I guess the intent here is to use one of the survey images or even the graphical sky atlas instead, and then just trust that the sequence startup (aided I guess with the manual rotator) will get everything centered.

Thank you.

• Phishin_phool likes this

#6 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

I think you've given me another key -- I never noticed the "manual rotator".  I'll have to try that next time out.  That may be the missing key. 

I think the other thing I keep trying to do, and maybe that's why this is difficult, is to use MY image to frame against.  While it can (since it annotates it nicely), I guess the intent here is to use one of the survey images or even the graphical sky atlas instead, and then just trust that the sequence startup (aided I guess with the manual rotator) will get everything centered.

Thank you.

Yea, the manual rotator was the missing link for me, once you select that after the sequence starts and it plate solves and centers a message will pop up and say "rotate your camera 11.5 degrees counterclockwise" after you do that and hit enter it will recheck and either give you another instruction or if you are good it will start. I haven't used my own image so I don't know if that works. It might if you know RA and DEC coordinates.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics