•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Heated/Electric Gloves?

accessories equipment
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:13 PM

Cold weather is coming.  Has anyone found any electric (battery powered) gloves with good tactile feel?

• Augustus likes this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:18 PM

I too am interested in this topic. I found these on Amazon, might get 'em: https://www.amazon.c...0G3EMBFB2CXFRBH

#3 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

You can turn a focuser knob easy enough with these but for removing filters and finer stuff like that you need to take them off.  But they really worked for me on some sub zero days. Water resistant sheep leather so they're not cheap. 

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by ICit2, 24 September 2020 - 10:23 PM.

#4 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:29 PM

I too am interested in this topic. I found these on Amazon, might get 'em: https://www.amazon.c...0G3EMBFB2CXFRBH

Those are liners. Based on the info it would seem that on their own they may not be that warm. 

#5 markb

markb

Apollo

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:35 PM

9 mil nitrile gloves can make a real difference, whether alone or as glove liners. And they can interact with touch screens. They do allow good manipulation of objects.

I believe they work like a wet suit; they trap a thin layer, air in this instance, under the impermeable nitrile, which acts as a thin insulation layer. And the nitrile makes a good barrier to conductive heat loss as well.

I had no luck with battery powered gloves.

My backup has been a Jon-e lighter fluid catalytic hand warmer (I recalled my father had used them for hunting trips in early winter), but I haven't had to break it out yet.

My -30 or so rated LLBean parka went a long way towards keeping me comfortable. Actually helped hand happiness too, I assume by keeping the core warmer.

Edited by markb, 24 September 2020 - 10:41 PM.

• izar187 and ian408 like this

#6 jefffed

jefffed

Explorer 1

• Loc: N.E. PA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:06 PM

Make your own? Many different ones on ebay

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100752.m1982

#7 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

An alternative to electric heaters is to use chemical hand warmers. You'll need a multiple layer glove system that allows removing the outer ones. I've used a thin silk liner glove with the hand warmer inside the outer double layer mitten, normally resting against the back of my hand. If my fingers got cold, the hand warmer could be slid down over the backs of the fingers. Another option is to use half gloves that leave the fingertips exposed or gloves with removable finger tips.

Winter sports stores should have a large selection of gloves/mittens.

• MellonLake likes this

#8 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:06 AM

An alternative to electric heaters is to use chemical hand warmers. You'll need a multiple layer glove system that allows removing the outer ones. I've used a thin silk liner glove with the hand warmer inside the outer double layer mitten, normally resting against the back of my hand. If my fingers got cold, the hand warmer could be slid down over the backs of the fingers. Another option is to use half gloves that leave the fingertips exposed or gloves with removable finger tips.

Winter sports stores should have a large selection of gloves/mittens.

Nope.  Tried that type.  That's why if you'll notice I'm asking about battery powered electric ones.

• Augustus and PatrickVt like this

#9 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:52 PM

The best way to keep your extremities warm is to keep your body warm. I use a 50 watt heating pad inside insulated coveralls. The heating pad is across my lower back. I'm so toasty warm, I don't even need gloves. Of course you will need a way to power it.

Bruce

#10 idclimber

idclimber

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:22 PM

Anything that is designed for a motorcycle would work off 12v. There are jackets you could plug in to a 12v battery as well as self contained units. They are somewhat expensive, but would be my choice before heated gloves. Bruce is correct about keeping the core warm. I would only add that an isulated hat is also more important than gloves. 

If you are still wanting heated gloves, again look at at what is available for a motorcycle. 

• ian408 likes this

#11 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:28 PM

9 mil nitrile gloves can make a real difference, whether alone or as glove liners. And they can interact with touch screens. They do allow good manipulation of objects.

I believe they work like a wet suit; they trap a thin layer, air in this instance, under the impermeable nitrile, which acts as a thin insulation layer. And the nitrile makes a good barrier to conductive heat loss as well.

I had no luck with battery powered gloves.

My backup has been a Jon-e lighter fluid catalytic hand warmer (I recalled my father had used them for hunting trips in early winter), but I haven't had to break it out yet.

My -30 or so rated LLBean parka went a long way towards keeping me comfortable. Actually helped hand happiness too, I assume by keeping the core warmer.

Zippo lighter fluid hand warmers work well. 

#12 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:53 PM

I like Milwaukee:

https://www.milwauke...e-Heated-Gloves

• 25585 likes this

#13 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:46 PM

Nope, much too thick.  Need thinner fingers for more tactile response.  Ideally something that hunters (shooters) use.  Several out there I was just hoping someone here had tried some of them. 

#14 rexowner

rexowner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

Nope, much too thick.  Need thinner fingers for more tactile response.  Ideally something that hunters (shooters) use.  Several out there I was just hoping someone here had tried some of them. 

What's your location, how cold does it get?

#15 Dave Bush

Dave Bush

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:41 PM

What's your location, how cold does it get?

Colorado.  But for me, if the temp drops into the lower 40's my fingers start getting numb.  And I'll not be out if it gets into the low 30's.

#16 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:56 AM

Try thin gloves with dew strips i.e. make your own. Need pockets for a battery & distributor & enough wiring to not be restrictive.

Otherwise try motorcyclist heated gloves. They are designed to be thin enough to use switches etc. Heated socks are nice too!

#17 luxo II

luxo II

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

Could put a small chemical hand warmer inside a glove, that should be toasty for 4-5 hours.... done that when paragliding in temps between 5C down to -5C...

Edited by luxo II, 26 September 2020 - 07:44 AM.

#18 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:01 AM

These look pretty thin.

#19 ian408

ian408

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Silicon Valley

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:49 PM

Keeping your core temperature up is most important. There are any number of electric vests. I wear an Aerostitch Kanetsu while riding in the winter. The Nitrile glove trick is also good-I prefer a lighter weight glove almost anytime I'm wearing them and a Nitrile glove combine nicely with a light weight glove to keep keep my hands warm. 

#20 Andrekp

Andrekp

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

Meanwhile it is so hot and humid at my house right now you can place a small rock in mid-air and it will just slowly sink to the ground...

• Dave Bush likes this

#21 MellonLake

MellonLake

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

Chemical hand warmers and fingerless gloves that turn into mittens. I use these down to -20C with great results. Just pop the fingers back under for warmth and bring them out when I need the tactile sense.
  • rexowner likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics