•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eastern limb activity and first light with the ASI174

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:19 PM

The curse was actually reversed when I received my ASI174 today.  It was cloudy this morning and cleared up as soon as it arrived.  Seeing was rough as it was early afternoon but I wanted to check it out anyway.  First impression was, “Wow, that’s a big chip!”  Second impression was, “Wow, not only does the full disk fit in the FOV, but there's room for a ghost image in DS mode as well!”  Third impression was, “Wow, there are no Newton Rings present, even when barlowed!”  I realize this isn’t the ideal camera for my Lunt 60 but it does offer some fun alternatives in certain situations and will play well if I happen to go larger aperture!

I played around a bit and need better seeing without pesky high clouds to play a lot more, but I think it has a place in my arsenal!

get.jpg?insecure

• PhotonJohn, philmor56, hopskipson and 2 others like this

#2 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:05 PM

The curse was actually reversed when I received my ASI174 today.  It was cloudy this morning and cleared up as soon as it arrived.  Seeing was rough as it was early afternoon but I wanted to check it out anyway.  First impression was, “Wow, that’s a big chip!”  Second impression was, “Wow, not only does the full disk fit in the FOV, but there's room for a ghost image in DS mode as well!”  Third impression was, “Wow, there are no Newton Rings present, even when barlowed!”  I realize this isn’t the ideal camera for my Lunt 60 but it does offer some fun alternatives in certain situations and will play well if I happen to go larger aperture!

I played around a bit and need better seeing without pesky high clouds to play a lot more, but I think it has a place in my arsenal!

get.jpg?insecure

I like my ASI174mm but it is sometimes has Newton rings. My LS60/50 works well with this camera. Once I get good at imaging/processing a Lunt 80mmPT might be in the future.

Edited by PhotonJohn, 24 September 2020 - 11:17 PM.

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:49 AM

I like my ASI174mm but it is sometimes has Newton rings. My LS60/50 works well with this camera. Once I get good at imaging/processing a Lunt 80mmPT might be in the future.

I remembered you had one and like how your images look.  The other thing I noticed is that I can get the whole disk into an area on the chip that it is evenly illuminated where with the small chip there is always an uneven illumination.  I'll be interested to see how closeups of brighter proms will look with this camera since I think the smaller pixels on my Skyris will still give me better resolution with my current setup.  Fun to have two options for different situations!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics