•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI1600 Temp Sensor Only Showing 0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jt_3232

jt_3232

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:33 PM

Hi,

I'm on Maxim DL5 and out of nowehere, my camera's temp sensor only shows 0. The cooler fan still works, but I bet it will keep cooling constantly. I haven't had this issue before. Any ideas??

I'm using a USB3 cable to my USB3 hub to my USB3 port on my laptop (like normal). I'm unsure what the issue is.

Thanks,

Jaxon

#2 FlankerOneTwo

FlankerOneTwo

Viking 1

• Loc: Vegas, baby!

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:12 AM

What are your ambient temperatures? If it's pretty hot where you are it is possible the TEC cooler can't get low enough to go below 0. I have this problem in the summer here in Vegas, although the Pro model should have a little better range than my older 1600MM-Cool.

Does the sensor show any different temperatures depending on the ambient environment? The 1600 has separate power connectors for the fan and the TEC cooler, some were known to have a loose fit with the TEC resulting in failure to cool and the temp sensor always reading room temp. I had this problem on a 1600MC (which I got for a great price for exactly that reason! 1 minute fix, works great now), if this is your case I can forward you the instructions that ZWO sent me. Super easy.

If the sensor always just reads 0 regardless of ambient temp I don't have an explanation. I'm assuming you've rebooted computer, double checked USB connectors, verified image download / gain  and exposure settings work correctly? I think SGP indicates if it can't read the temp from the camera, but I'm not sure what Maxim does if it has a bad connection. If you don't have any luck with the above you could try emailing ZWO directly at support@zwoptical.com.

#3 jt_3232

jt_3232

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:53 PM

Patrick, 

Sorry I took a while to respond, I got married this weekend and just now got around to reading this. Your third paragraph is the relevant one. The camera sensor only reports reading 0 degrees Celsius. It is not anywhere close to that in my house right now (obviously). When the cooler has been on for 20 minutes, the sensor still only reads 0. Thus, something is wrong with the sensor. This is a new thing too, it used to work just fine.

I have tried a different USB 3.0 cord and a tried without the USB 3.0 hub, the camera always shows 0 temp.

I will be contacting ZWO.

Thanks,

Jaxon

#4 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

Patrick, 

Sorry I took a while to respond, I got married this weekend and just now got around to reading this. Your third paragraph is the relevant one. The camera sensor only reports reading 0 degrees Celsius. It is not anywhere close to that in my house right now (obviously). When the cooler has been on for 20 minutes, the sensor still only reads 0. Thus, something is wrong with the sensor. This is a new thing too, it used to work just fine.

I have tried a different USB 3.0 cord and a tried without the USB 3.0 hub, the camera always shows 0 temp.

I will be contacting ZWO.

Thanks,

Jaxon

Im sure ZWO will fix it for you for cost or thereabouts. Theyve been amazing with my cameras.

How dare you stop looking at cloudynights while getting married. Where are your priorities man?

Edited by happylimpet, 29 September 2020 - 02:58 PM.

• Stelios and deonb like this

#5 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:25 PM

I'd be willing to bet it's a driver or software configuration problem.  A physically broken sensor would more likely read minus-infinity or some such.  A quick test...  When you turned on the cooler, did the current draw on +12v go up?

And, congrats!

Edited by TelescopeGreg, 29 September 2020 - 03:27 PM.

• Kevin Thurman likes this

#6 jt_3232

jt_3232

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

Well Greg,

I see the fan start spinning, so I would guess the current draw went up. Other than that, I'm not sure what you are asking me to do. Is there an easy way to check if there is a current draw? Do I need to hook an ammeter in series somehow with the power cable?

I'd hope it was a config issue, but why would it stop working randomly after it had been working for a few months just fine?

Thanks,

Jaxon 

#7 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:02 PM

Well Greg,

I see the fan start spinning, so I would guess the current draw went up. Other than that, I'm not sure what you are asking me to do. Is there an easy way to check if there is a current draw? Do I need to hook an ammeter in series somehow with the power cable?

I'd hope it was a config issue, but why would it stop working randomly after it had been working for a few months just fine?

Thanks,

Jaxon 

Ok, if the fan starts and stops with cooling on/off, that probably answers that part of the question.  My ASI2600MC-P runs the fan from when I turn the computer on (it's a Raspberry Pi running Astroberry), regardless of whether the cooling is enabled or not.  But I also put a meter in line with the 12v power to see what it was drawing, just to get an idea of the battery load. 

Another test you can do is to grab an image in FITS format, and look at the FITS header.  It should tell you what temperature the image was taken at.  Take a few and see if it's cooling, and if it stops cooling at the set-point.

It it's zero too, I'd push on Maxim before returning the camera.

#8 mtc

mtc

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 6, MA

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

Which driver are you using, asi or ascom?

#9 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 30 September 2020 - 03:27 AM

The fan spins when the 12v supply is connected, regardless of cooling.

I have an ammeter & voltmeter in line with my 12v supply - very useful all the time to check whether dew heaters are working etc. Very cheap from ebay.

#10 jt_3232

jt_3232

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

Sorry for the delayed response everyone. ZWO emailed me back and asked to try the camera on their ASI Studio software. I did, and it also says 0C. I was looking back through my pictures which have FITS headers, and something must have occurred between August 1 and Sept 19, because that was the last time I took FITS images with proper cooling. Unfortunately between that time, I only took video from Firecapture so I never saw the temperature.

They said if it doesn't work in ASIStudio (I used ASIImg), then we would have to do an RMA thing. Sounds like I am going to be sending my camera in :(

Thanks all,

Jaxon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics