•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Image moved to corner from the center when stacking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hobbs nm

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:03 PM

Ok this is a new one for me.   When I start to gather data say of M33, I put it in the center of my screen (sharp cap) take a bunch of images which I put in DSS and now my perfectly centered Galaxy is in the bottom right corner.    Any ideas what is going on here?   I appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

#2 imtl

imtl

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:06 PM

Did you do a meridian flip? If so did you plate solve? If not that might be your problem

#3 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:07 PM

No meridian flip.    I took 100 images and they all show m33 in the center until I stack them.

No plate solving, I don’t know how to do that.

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:28 PM

Did you "register" the frames? If so, did you pick the master frame to register the others to? 

Plate solving or meridian flip has nothing to do with it if in fact the 100 subs you start with all had M33 in the middle.

Check the zoom in your display. It may be there, but not displayed correctly. 

Or maybe you just invented a new gremlin. 

Alex

• ChancesFate likes this

#5 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:31 PM

I will go back and check each frame.    That would be my luck to invent new issues with my set up.

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:44 PM

Could it be that the sharpcap screen was not showing the full sensor output----that it was only showing one corner of the full frame?

And when you say you stacked them-----do you have the original frames, or was this livestacking in Sharpcap?

As I said....check the subs.....where is the galaxy?

Alex

#7 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:09 PM

I am not sure about the first part, it looked normal when I was taking them, they look normal pre stacked.   Yes I did live stacking but saved individual frames as well (I never use the stacked image from sharpcap in dss.  Yes I have all the original frames and for each one the Galaxy is dead center.

it is a DSS problem.    I read about super pixels in their faq and I have sent them a message as well.  All of those issues in their group was from 2013 nothing new since then.  

ahhhhh why do all the weird things happen to me.    My DH thinks my hobby sucks with all the issues I have but when I went out again last night to get a quick peek at Orion’s Nebula and the smile that spread across my face is why I struggle through.    I really wish I had a local person that could help with hands on stuff.    I really do appreciate all of your help, I don’t know where I would be without this forum.  Thank you

#8 ChancesFate

ChancesFate

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

Fixed it.      Woohoo.   Ok so in DSS on the left side, raw/fits DDP setting under the fits file Bauer matrix transformation the very last one was checked to create super pixels so I unchecked that checked bilinear interpolation (I hope that is the right one).  Stacked it and tada Galaxy back in the center.       Alex, I really appreciated your help.  Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics