•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade secondary mirror replacement?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Niamho

Niamho

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:02 AM

Hi I wondering if you can help me, I am looking for  a  replacement Secondary mirror for a Meade 10 inch Newtonian reflective starfinder 10 inch telescope As the coating is compromised on my Dads telescope and am wondering what the best course of action would be. Obviously the cheaper option is what I would like. It is my fathers telescope and at 85 he still has a keen interest in all things astronomy and last week took out his telescope to view the moon and unfortunately the mirror was dirty and he tried to clean it and ended up rubbing the coating from one of the mirrors, the secondary one. I would really like to help him out in any way I can. I contacted Meade.com but they were unable to offer any assistance, any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you for you time in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Niamh Derrane

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:50 AM

Niamh:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.

The least expensive choice is to have the mirror recoated.  If you are in the United States there are several vendors who can recoat the mirror.  

Buying a new one is also an option.  You would need to know the dimensions, the minor axis.  

Where are you located?

Jon

#3 Niamho

Niamho

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2020 - 10:41 AM

Hi Jon thanks for reply, I am located in Ireland and finding it difficult to find any information , also focal length is and focal ratio f/4.5. I will keep searching and hopefully find someone in Europe who can do recoating or replacement.thanks again for reply. Niamh

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

The 10" has I believe a 2.37" secondary (measured across the shortest distance). 

Recoating is probably $30-40 from a company like 
https://www.galvopti...ng---secondary/

#5 Niamho

Niamho

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:12 AM

Thank you so much, i have got in touch with galvoptics and await their reply. Thank for your time.

#6 Niamho

Niamho

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 October 2020 - 01:53 PM

Hi guys, i just received my secondary mirror recoated and looking great, however the back holder was removed for recoating and i am wondering how to attach back plate to mirror again, to be honest I didn’t even know it could be removed. I cant see any obvious way to re attach so i would be very grateful for any advice on this.thanks

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:26 AM

A polyurethane sealant like 3m's 5300 is a good adhesive for glass to metal. Popular among boaters. 

#8 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

Hi guys, i just received my secondary mirror recoated and looking great, however the back holder was removed for recoating and i am wondering how to attach back plate to mirror again, to be honest I didn’t even know it could be removed. I cant see any obvious way to re attach so i would be very grateful for any advice on this.thanks

The secondary is held on to the back plate with RTV
Similar discussion here...
https://www.cloudyni...condary-mirror/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics