•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars in breezy weather - 22 Sep 2020

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:15 AM

Hi all, 

My observatory being ready to use, although not quite finished yet, wintry weather has - of course - closed in. Before it did, I managed to spend 3 h in the small hours of Wednesday morning our time waiting for some calm weather to image Mars, but the seeing never got better than poor. Below are the images, centring on Herschel crater and the region where Curiosity landed in 2012.   As usual for me the IR685 shows the most detail.  The area to my eye resembles a fox doing the butterfly stroke in heavy seas  - or am I hallucinating through lack of sleep?

I do hope for some of the good seeing that you northerners have been getting but perhaps the astronomy gods only ever bless one hemisphere at a time and you have had lean pickings in recent years!

Regards

Mark

Mars 22 Sep 2020.png

• Sunspot, otocycle, Magellanico and 16 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:59 AM

I see the swimming fox!!! haha thats hilarious.

Lovely images - and cheers, yeah we guys in the north do deserve a bit of a break with the planets!!!

Edited by happylimpet, 25 September 2020 - 05:00 AM.

• Lacaille likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:34 PM

Not too shabby Mark! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  The fox doing the butterfly stroke really resonated with my sense of humour when I saw it..!* :rofl: 

We're at Hawker after a mad dash & changing our minds when we arrived at Yongala late yesty arvo...it was so wet there... on the whim that one earlier forecast stated "showers below a line through Hawker" we knuckled down & drove the next 150km here: we got here & set up immediately churning up about 400Gb on Jove, Saturn & Mars: I think it might've paid off - but as they say, "the proof is in the processing!" :lol:

*Pat was hallucinating also last night here - I'll try & remember to make a comments about here imaginings when we get around to posting whatever we got!grin.gif

• Lacaille likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics